Something so simple...

I'd thought of using wire shelving as dish racking space (I have many of those shelves in bundles) but this is inspired...

obvious now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Especially the electrical sockets underneath the draining rack.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It is neat - but I'd be a but concerned that the insides of the cupboards might smell a bit due to damp/condensation. Maybe it would work well in a nice dry house - but not so well in one which is on the humid side?

Reply to
polygonum

It's okay, they're American ones. No Brits were harmed by the fitting of these cupboards. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

And the light with sockets...

An interesting idea but does require a work surface underneath that will drain. Damp cupboard? Leave it open at the top so it acts like a chimney.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Finnish are a bit cavalier about such things.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hmm... possibly, but otoh, my normal method of leaving dishes to air dry puts the same amount of moisture in the kitchen atmosphere anyway and it would be trivial to arrange adequate ventilation through the cupboard. I've always hated the dishcloth method - manky things.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh I agree - we have a wall-mounted rack for plates and things. But even after an overnight draining, sometimes there is some moisture - e.g. wooden chopping board or between plates. So with the reduced airflow of some cupboard walls/doors and, mostly particularly any top the cupboard might have, I imagine it would be at least slightly worse.

Reply to
polygonum

Every Victorian kitchen had a rack like that - far from a new idea. But they used decent pine for the rack not chipboard which will rapidly turn soggy

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Why not use a dishwasher that leaves everything dry?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Two dishwashers seems in keeping with the spirit of the idea!

RJH

About those sockets underneath - Mr Darwin called...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think you're supposed to wash them now and then. Still, they're a great source of bacteria, sitting there on the radiator

Reply to
stuart noble

Merkins have a much more blase attitude to socket location than we do. Just about every hotel I've ever stayed in in the US has a socket right next to the basin in the bathroom.

Reply to
Huge

I've tried various draining racks -- the plastic ones from Wilko, or the chromium plated wire ones (or are they stainless steel?) -- but now I simply spread out two spare drying-up cloths on to the work surface next to the sink and leave the washed crockery and cutlery to "drain" into the cotton material. The advantage is that drying-up cloths, provided they're 100% cotton, last for ages and can be washed frequently. I have built up a stock of about 20 of them, so the cloths on the work surface usually only stay there for a few hours, then replaced by clean ones. Just depends on how much washing up I have.

But once again I have rejected the thought of a dishwasher! I had a Siemens Slimline years ago and even then it took two to three days to load it fully. Plus, there's all the special salt and detergent needed, whereas I buy washing up liquid from Aldi or QD Stores and that's all I need.

MM

Reply to
MM

Same in my flat here.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

SWMBO boils them in bleach from time to time. Still, I prefer a brush if washing dishes, you can get it cleaner afterwards. Otherwise, as you say, just a bacterial breeding ground.

I've never been able to persuade women of this - anyone know why?

When I was single it took me a week to fill up the d/w and that was never a problem. Washing stuff by hand is for the birds (not that I've ever seen them do it either).

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

One of many mysteries. Another is going round closing bathroom/toilet doors and some fetish about washing fish plates and cutlery separately.

I think my wife actually enjoys having her hands in hot soapy water despite suffering from dry skin.

I control our dishwasher! And, if eldest daughter random stacks the cutlery once more, she will be chained to it so she can take charge of emptying.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

shelves in bundles) but this is inspired...

So obvious now.

I had one of these when I lived in Norway 30 years ago. It drained into the sink which was directly underneath. A great idea.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

In the days before stainless steel cutlery, it was to keep the smell of fish away from decent food.

An excuse to buy moisturiser?

Reply to
John Williamson