Dimmable CFL

e:

To the point, a new "energy efficient" incandesant is BS , incandesants must be taxed to force savings upon us in the form of energy.

Reply to
ransley

Well, things have indeed gotten much better. For instance this surface coal-mining on hilltops, all the "tailings" being shoved down into the valleys.

Thank god for Bush and Cheney's regulations that those sites have to be remediated back to original beauty and cleanliness "+". And note the by now hundred of examples of the good-citizen coal companies transporting all those tailings from way down in the valleys back up to where they came from, then sealed in by the most modern technology so no leaks guaranteed for the next 20 million years, and then schools and hospitals and auditoriums built above it all, beautiful landscaping, lucious green grass, playgrounds and swimming pools for the valley town's kids, really nice!

I thought it was common knowledge that *median*-income, in "real" terms, peaked in the early 70's, and it's been downhill ever since.

Has Exxon ever paid even 50-cents for cleanup for the Exxon-Valdez oil spill?

(Interesting investigative-reporter book: "the best democracy money can buy", by greg palast. 10 or 15 chapters, each on a separate (paid for) investigation do by him (palast: American, reports for or at least has shows on BBC Newsnight. (Of course, you'll never see them

*here*!). Anyway, captain was drunk, in bed, (I think that's what he found), but far, far worse was that the perfectly-functioning radar was turned OFF that night -- hell, maybe always! Betcha you didn't see *that* in the newspapers or on the TV!))

What I hear is that there simply isn't that much more around here (USA) -- that the biggest such find is almost guaranteed to be smaller than Alaska (which apparantely just isn't all that big.)

Then there's oil from "oil shale", I understand, like up in Canada, and there's supposed to be *lots* of it, the only problem being that's it's (apparantely) BY FAR the "dirtiest" type, with (maybe) equiv effect on the atmosphere, etc.

Well, I myself live maybe 10 miles north of "the Bronx", and just 20 or 30 miles northwest of me, right there on the Hudson river, there's two (or is it three?) of them.

They expire in just a while (5 years?), are already leaking Tritium into the drinking water, have already had some close calls to Armaagheddon (sp?), and guess what -- they're trying to get a 30 year extension! And with the kind of money they have for "lobbying" (ie bribes), they'll probably get it.

Insane.

If you're gonna build the things, at least do it out in Nevada or the Dakotas where if something blows you don't throw the entire nation info a bottomless depression from having to abandon the entire East Coast from D.C. to Boston.

That too. Had Osama been a bit smarter, he'd of have those planes dive into the spent-fuel ponds right there next to those nuclear plants.

And how long ago was Chernoble (sp?)? And the effect of that on having to abandon a huge amount of land?

And what about the wind-effect, carrying the radiation clear across western Europe? And its food-supply?

Nah, what we really need to do is to "off" those Chinese and Indians who're (now or very soon will be) taking all our oil!

Cheers!

David

Reply to
David Combs