Detroit Suburb Literally Rips-Out 1,000 Streetlights, Darkens Town

No.

DTE is not in the business of installing lights. I'm sure they'd much rather sell the electricity like they've been doing for how many dozen years. And remember that just like they did when they pulled them down, they'd simply contract out the job to someone else.

By taking down the equipment, they've added an unncessary complication for Highland Park city hall were they to decide to have the lights back up and working again. The added cost to re-install the lights (unless absorbed by DTE over many years) will only postpone any decision to turn them on again. This is still a stupid decision on the part of DTE - unless the money saved in lower insurance costs makes up the difference over 5 or 10 years.

Reply to
Home Guy

Is there a shortage of residential street lights in Texas?

You couldn't pay me enough to live in the US, let alone think that the average Canadian would cross illegally if given the chance.

I bet there wasn't even 38 illegal crossings made into the US last year across the whole northern border.

But don't worry.

Honeywell or General Dynamics or some other mega gov't contractor will convince your congress otherwise.

Reply to
Home Guy

You don't think they make a profit installing lights?

I guess you know more than the management of DTE. Maybe you should send your resume over...

Reply to
krw

We have a regular treated wood pole off the street next to our driveway and steps leading up to the house and we pay Alabama Power a few bucks a month for a HPS pole light which lights up the front yard and a good bit of the neighbors yards and street. The only city provided lights are at intersections. The light does help keep a lot of goblins away and lets us see what the dogs are barking at. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm not worried about my Canuck friends, it's the OTC who may try to slip in from the Northern border. All the Canadians I know are cool (no pun intended) folks. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

[Theremin music in the background] In the future, cities will be lighted by small artificial suns developed by scientists working in the field of nuclear fusion. These small suns will be attached to small blimps floating over sections of the city and can be moved around to provide additional light to a section if some event requires it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes. Dimebox, Texas is almost all dark, while Cut-N-Shoot is not much better. Pflugerville is coming along nicely.

We have long lines at the border of folks trying to get in. Fortunately, we have street-lights all along the Louisiana border. New Mexico, not so much.

He would, and does, to buy stuff that he can't get in Canada.

Even if it's only 37, in the words of our Secretary of Homeland Security, "Thirty-seven is too many."

Reply to
HeyBub

The pole will come down someday. DTE takes it down, it falls down from lack of maintenance, or some driver knocks it into the street where it is hit by a station wagon full of illegal aliens and their seven children, killing all but one infant.* Perhaps DTE, looking at the insurance premium they have to pay on each pole, decide they could come out ahead by taking the poles down now.

--------

  • Lest you think I jest, the all-steel, 30' pole in front of my house - on a straight street - was hit during the night and completely uprooted! It fell across my driveway, narrowly missing my car and probably the cat.

The next morning, my son and I surveyed the debris field. We found a lens cover from a turn indicator. Running the part number down (it wasn't easy) we discovered it came from a Chevy S-10 pickup. Imagine how a girl-sized pickup could knock a 14" diameter steel pole twenty feet. It boggles the mind.

The story gets better. Three times during the next two weeks I called the pole people, asking politely for them to move it from my driveway. No luck.

From the backyard, I got a 15' fallen tree limb and stuck it in the hole formerly occupied by the street lamp. I placed a small kerosene lamp near the top. I then emailed a picture of the result to the service department of the light company along with the message: "No hurry, I replaced it."

The pole was moved the next day.

Wait, it gets better.

I didn't see who moved the pole, but I did see where they moved it. They moved this 30', dented, steel pole to the road median! That's exactly what they did, they simply drug it out of the way!

There the pole rested for about a month until (I guess) one night some passing urban fairies cut it up for scrap and hauled it off.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yea so they probably provided the fixture / lamp (years ago) and they're providing power to it.

Reply to
Home Guy

I must be missing something, because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Is metal theft so bad in Texas that it's darkened the streets of so many towns, causing a street-light shortage?

Or did these towns not have street lighting in the first place, and they're thinking that now is a good time to get some?

Or did a bunch of tornados rip them up over the summer, causing a street light shortage?

Explanation required.

Who's he?

Oh the horror of Canadians doing some cross-border shopping in the US!

Oh the tragedy of the added commerce and sales to those destitute US border cities!

News Flash: I wouldn't call it an illegal crossing when a Canadian drives over to the US to do some shopping - and then returns back to Canada later that day. Wouldn't it be great if Mexicans were doing the same thing?

Reply to
Home Guy

Well, right off the bat I can just imagine what the urban landscape looks like outside your front door. But continue...

And I guess you didn't hear it come down.

Did you file a police report?

And still be able to drive away?

Which again you didn't see or hear the noise of the grinder.

What shit-hole of a city do you live in anyways?

Now you see why I say you can't pay me enough to live in the states.

Reply to
Home Guy

What's "OTC"?

Over The Counter?

Reply to
Home Guy

How very CSI of you two. :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

Other than Canadians.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Other Than Canadians.

By the way, are you harry's cousin, or something? Don't forget, if the US didn't exist, Canada (at least in current recognizable form) probably would not, either. The countries grew up together, albeit along different paths.

Reply to
aemeijers

Heh. Thank your god for turning Texas into Mexico North.

I've been to Texas many times. Lubbock, Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio. Each one at least 4 times over the past 15 years (except for Lubbock - only been there once). Galveston a few times. North Padre Island once for a week's vacation.

Reply to
Home Guy

In general, we like them. These immigrants are, for the most part, exactly the kind of folks we want: Hard working, industrious, willing to place their faith in their own abilities, take a chance on building a better life for themselves and their families.

As opposed to some of the immigrants from New Orleans that I mentioned earlier.

And you're STILL like that? Amazing.

Reply to
HeyBub

Then why is the whole friggen country tying itself up in knots over those illegals?

Why are so many opposed to giving them amnesty and a fast-track to citizenship if you like them so much?

What - that I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade?

The US is f*cked up, and it all started with the response to 9-11, and just got worse electing Bush a second time.

As the saying goes - it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Reply to
Home Guy

Ah, sorry. Both Dimebox and Cut-N-Shoot are, in places, pretty dark at night. More street lights are needed. Urgently.

Uh, no. It's just that many Texas towns are growing faster than the stree-light manufacturers can turn out product.

Neither. The towns are growing. There are now THREE grocery stores in Dimebox (although one does sell cattle feed and guns).

Reply to
HeyBub

Becasue, they are well Illegals.

We already admit more immigrants legally than most other countries. We just don't (often believe) in encouraging people to jump the queue.

This is hardly new. Heck, Nixon was talking at one time about an amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman