Desktop computer question

I have a fanless Asus GTX750 with 2GB RAM:

Since my computer is on 24/7/365 and I sit next to it all day, I'm more concerned with low power usage and quiet operation than all out performance. Even though it does not have a fan it usually stays nice and cool (I do not play games).

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Yep, most users won't see much of a difference for web surfing or text editing.

I do a lot of video editing, so that's where I usually notice improvements the most. My last upgrade dropped my processing times from 6-8 hours down to an hour or two. That's a nice improvement, but all other operations are basically the same.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

People who are dying in their 80's or 90's should still show up in the obituaries when they die. I see a few from time to time, but most obit's seem to be people in their 50's and 60's.

Obviously, it's far from a reliable indicator, just an interesting observation I've noticed lately.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I have serious reservations about storing any of my stuff on somebody else's computer that's Zod-knows-where and who-knows-who can access it . Not that I have anything to hide , but it ain't nobody's business but mine for instance how much I budget for what .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I don't drink much root beer, but A&W is my favorite. :)

Basically only when I'm replacing components, maybe every 2-3 years or so. Even then it's more of a "take a deep breath and blow" kind of cleaning. :)

It might just be where it's located in a cabinet under my desk, but there is usually very little dust build up.

The computer at my old job used to get so full of dust it would start having operational issues. Overheating, card connectors getting flakey, etc.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

You can avoid most privacy issues by encrypting your data before you upload it.

However, even with high speed broadband, backing up several hundred GB of data is going to be extremely slow.

It can also be expensive. For the cost of one year of online backups, I can buy an external hard drive with more capacity and faster backups.

If your internet access goes down, you won't be able to backup your data. Worse yet, you may not be able to recover a file when you need it.

If the backup company goes out of business, you'll probably lose access to the data you've backed up.

Most online backups only backup selected folders or files. If your hard drive fails you'll have to reinstall Windows, your applications, and the backup program before you can restore your data. With a local backup, you can simply restore the drive image to a new drive and be up and running again.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

| > how often do you vacuum the dust out of your computers, | > especially the one that stays on 24/7? | | Basically only when I'm replacing components, maybe every 2-3 years or so. | Even then it's more of a "take a deep breath and blow" kind of cleaning. :) |

I've been buying the green pad air filters for furnaces. It's a 20"x25" pad that comes with a plastic grid. Using a piece of pad, with or without a piece of grid, provides a way to block dust getting in without impeding airflow.

Reply to
Mayayana

I am still using desktop PCs, also an AMD one. :)

Update the BIOS before installing the CPU.

For power-saving servers, how about motherboards with CPU bundled?

Example:

Mr. Man-wai Chang

I missed the original discussion so I don't know what kind of heatsink was involved...

If the heatsink had a heatpipe inside it or attached to it, that could produce some noises.

Otherwise I'd agree with you that it could be due to expansion as it heats up. Some types of heatsinks seem to be more prone to this than others, and any brackets or supports that may touch or rub against the fins of the sink can exacerbate it.

Reply to
Bud Frede