Cleaning a desktop computer

I want to take the hassle out if it.

I have been looking for adapters for a vacuum cleaner that include one or more gentle brushes (and might fit my Shark or old Sebo).

My son-in-law last night said he uses a compressed air blower.

I didn't question him further but it appears that you can buy aerosol cans that may or may not include harmful chemicals or more expensive gun type things.

I wondered if I could get others' thoughts on this before taking the plunge.

TIA

Reply to
pinnerite

The cans of compressed gas are quite expensive IME, especially if you want the fully inert ones (cheaper ones might contain a fair amount of flammable gas).

I normally use various soft paint brushes to dislodge the dust, and the crevice tool on the end of the vacuum to catch the freed dust before it can get into the air.

Reply to
John Rumm

I just run the small dyson handheld over the top of each, and do the screens at the same time.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I just use a pneumatic compressor with a air blower gun like this:

Best done outdoors and put a dust mask on!

S.

Reply to
SH

They are not completely free of contaminants, either, contrary to what is implied on the tin. OK for general dust cleaning, but don't use on optical surfaces.

Reply to
Joe

I have a small quiet air compressor that is ideal for running a blow- gun, as well as inflating tyres and powering small air tools like a staple gun. Blowing dust is definitely more effective than sucking - a vacuum cleaner has maximum 15 PSI differential pressure while a compressor can have over 100 PSI (careful you don't blow key caps across the room). Canned air is pretty expensive if you're going to use much of it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

A word of warning here, large static voltages can be generated as the air rushes down the hose. Make sure any metal bits are earthed to the computer earth, and be very genital, since I've seen people trash their motherboards with static from badly wielded cleaners.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Make sure you do a good job of the processor fan and heat sink though. This seems to be where most problems happen. My machine has an over specified psu, and runs cold so the fans in that just tick over. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Jam any fans with a match stick/cotton bud so they won't spin, because you might knacker the bearings. I've also heard that fan motors can generate enough current to damage the mobo if you spin them fast enough.

Reply to
Rob Morley