Data brokers tracking you on the internet

Sure you are being tacked. This John Oliver video gives you a pretty good idea.

You can get the gist starting at 20 minutes but the end is really the best part

Ed Pawlowski

The link is geo-locked - not available in Canada - but going to youtube and searching John Oliver returns several < perfectly available > recent videos about Data Brokers ..

sample 3 minute excerpt :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

It was pretty good. Thanks.

I'm traveling and I wanted to watch a movie on Kanopy, a service connected to my local public libary (and many others) and thus free.

On the laptop I signed up for a VPN, Super VPN I think or maybe Super Unlimited Proxy, didn't work. Another one, NordVPN, didn't work. EXpress VPN otoh worked just fine, very easy. Pay in advance but should get money back within 30 days, no questions asked.

ExpressVPN let me send an email straight from their webpage to my phone with a link to install it on the phone, and now the phone works fine too.

Once because I was having trouble getting something local, I stopped it, and I had trouble getting it to restart every time the phone was turned on, so iirc I reinstalled it. No, I entered my email and password. Didn't know my password so had to request a new one for the phone. I thought that would require my changing it for the laptop but it didnt'.

You can pick almost any country you want to pretend to be there. I picked US and it gave me New Jersey, but the others let me decide what state and which one in that state. I think Express might allow that somehow, but it hasn't been needed. Maybe when the governors of Texas and Florida outlaw certain IPs from transmitting from the web, people in those states will have to pretend they're in New Jersey.

Reply to
micky