Craftsman weed eater

My once dependable Craftsman weed eater is acting up.

When I try to start it the unit will run for 5 seconds or so before cutting off. I've replaced the sparkplug and air filter and put in new gas (I forgot to drain the tank this winter).

What should I do next? I'm not too familiar with these engines. I called around for a repair place, the only place I found who would touch them was Sears (the downside of living in a small town). None of the small engine repair shops do anything besides mowers.

Reply to
ryeish

i was having the same problem with my craftsman wead eater this afternoon.. would start up and then kill.. the gas was getting to it by priming but then it was not getting enough gas to keep on running.... will my problem i just added some more gas(i was only gonna use it for about 5-10 minutes and never wanted to put so much gas in it... a few years ago i left it in the shed all winter with gas in it and the gas ruined the plastic tubing that run the gas from the filter in the tank to the carb.... about a 1/4 in. hose.. and the 1/8 in. hose also was dried out.. they both cracked and fell apart.. went off the local lawnmower shop and got some new hosed and it worked find after that... you might need some help with installing the hoses.. there is a trick to it.. the thinn one has to be cut about 1 ft. long(you only gonna need a few inches, but you need the 1 ft. piece to install the filter that is attached to the end in the tank.. and then have to thread the other end which you will cut in a point to thread from the inside of the gas tank to the outside of the tank(this will seal the think hose on the outside and then you go to the carb with the pointed end, cut it to length and then attach it to the carb... if not familar with it the lawnmower shop can do it in 5 minutes if they are not busy and should not charge too much....

Reply to
jim

Take it to Sears...doesn't sound like you're equipped for fix it yourself

Reply to
Curmudgeon

My neighbor does NOT believe in using fresh gas and in removing the gas for winter.

After a lot of pulling and yanking to start his blower, he found it was a PLUGGED FILTER that bobbles around in the tank.

If lucky you can soak in Gumout and blow out with air.

Easier to replace.

Reply to
Conase