First Lawnmower

Wondering what kind of push mower you all recommend. I've got about 1/4 acre to mow every time. The one I have now is going to be driven into the ground and I'm not sure how much longer I have with it.

Reply to
Todd Lerfondler

I have a Honda Harmony 215 and like it a lot. About 6 years old now and no problems. It's a mulcher and does an excellent job of finely mulching the clippings.

Reply to
trader4

I hear the upkeep on Hondas can get expensive.

Reply to
Todd Lerfondler

There are two schools of thought here.

1 - Get a cheapo and plan on replacing it every 3-4 years. 2 - Get a good one that will last 20 years or so. I prefer option 2. Honda builds about the best mower/engine combination around. There are plenty of other mower mfgs but most all of them use purchased engines and usually go for the least expensive they can find because any engine trouble is not their problem.

One dead give away when looking at mowers is to check the cables. If they are thick and multiple strands then you are looking at a quality mower. If it is a solid wire or has no cables at all, it's a cheapo.

Reply to
Artemis

It can be if they are not taken care of. A good example (and what most people complain about) is the air filter on the HR series. They cost about $20 US - but it has a high quality pre-filter that can be washed many times. If the air filter is maintained it will last 4-5 seasons under avg use. Compared to about $2 for your average sponge air filter that should be replaced every year and yes, Honda is slightly more expensive.

On average their parts are slightly more expensive but the quality is also higher. You can't expect to pay the same price for a Honda throttle cable as you would for an MTD cable but then the Honda cable will generally last several times as long.

Reply to
Artemis

I have a commercial honda 215 and run the wheels off of it and the owner's cost has been quite low. I change the oil ever month or two, change spark plug and air filter every year. The parts are very reasonable in price and well made for the most part. Look here for your filters:

More Catalog #: H07980 Category: Air Filters-Honda Honda Air Filter H07980 Product Name: Replaces O.E.M. 17211-ZG9-M00. Fits SX series. Harmony 215 model HRM215. OD- 5-3/4", ID- 3-1/2", Height- 1". Price: $4.99

Reply to
Timothy

My Sears Craftsman is 20 years old this spring. It has never had any trouble; never been to a repair shop. Still using the original spark plug. Air filter has been changed once. Starts on the first pull every time.

At the end of every season, I change the oil (Mobil 1), clean the air filter, clean the underside of the mower deck, sharpen the blade (with my bench grinder), and put a dash of StaBil in the gas tank (and run the engine to get it into the carb).

Of course, I bought this machine 20 years ago. I have no idea what is the quality of the mowers Sears is selling in 2006.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Bought a Sears Craftsman back in 79/80 finally sold it at a garage sale for $15 in 97 as my new place was too big. Bought another push Craftsman with the larger wheels in the back for easier pushing. However, as I have aged and slope of my side yard it got a lil tiring. So traded my kids for the Craftsman I got them for a housewarming present. This one is self propelled and I just love it. The hole for the grass catcher is much larger than the other one. My yard is 1/2 acre and I can do the whole job myself.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

that 1st Craftsman I bought back in the late 70's never went to the repair shop. Think I may have changed the spark plug once, added oil as needed. Never used gas that had stabilizer in it so it served me well for 19 years.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

honda without a doubt...if your going cheep. , dont get a tecumseh engine.get a briggs engine with a carb that uses a float bowl, and get ball bearing wheels..lucas

ds549

I used a Honda for many years for my slightly larger orchard. At 80 it became heavy and I found Sweden's Stiga on this site. Stiga 46 multiclip is lighter, manoeuverable and cheaper. It is also muc faster as there is no collecting and carrying. The cuttings ar chopped so finely that they mulch in a day or so, fertilising the lawn The push model (46) has a Honda engine, the self propelled (46S) Briggs & Stratton which thankfully has been good, unlike some remember from years ago. The Stiga site from google lists local retailers o

will send one carriage free in a few days.

The only snag so far is wearing of the plastic drive teeth within th front wheels, probably from not disengaging or lifting the nose whe to-ing and fro-ing round trees. I wonder if other users have me this.

Tom To

-- tom

Reply to
tom