Craftsman Tractor Trouble Going Uphill

I have a craftsman tractor and on level ground it runs just fine, but if I try to go up a slight incline it slows to a crawl and if I increase the throttle the tractor just stops, not the engine. Any ideas on where to start would be helpful

Reply to
notnavi

============ What kind of transmission and is the tranny belt driven? BTW if cutting grass...I have the throttle wide open...control speed of the tractor with the hydromatic transmission on my Cub.

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

How old is it, how many hours on it if compression is low it just may be worn out, or the govenor may be not working right try cleaning it.

Reply to
m Ransley

I am willing to bet the farm its a belt driven tranny, Mine did the same thing until I tightened the blet

Reply to
Shopdog

Replace the drive belt. And while you're at it also replace the mower belt(s). MLD

Reply to
MLD

Reply to
John Lawrence