Craftsman hedge trimmer replacement

I bought a craftsman "heave duty hedge trimmer" that has been awful. It says it can cut through 3/4 stems, but it has been awful cutting through my ivy.

My neighbor has an old school Craftsman from 20-30 years ago that works great.

I'm curious if there are any other brands that will cut through stems greater than this, although all electric ones I've seen say 3/4 at most. Do I need to buy a gasoline powered one instead ?

Thanks

Reply to
Joe

says it can cut through 3/4 stems,

Reply to
Rob Mills

It's going to be tough finding one that will cut through ivy because it is so flexible. Try sharpening the blades with a file.

Reply to
RayV

Well, the black and decker 24" hedge trimmer (#HS2400) claims it can cut 3/4" stems. Since they're claiming a "patented blade design", I'm guessing that it saws through them like an electric carving knife, rather than chopping them like a sickle-bar... whoops, nope. I just zoomed in on the photo. It *IS* a light-duty chainsaw, or something very similar.

Reply to
Goedjn

Shred 3/4" stems perhaps but it will never cleanly sever them. You are attempting to push tools beyond their physical limits. Forget the advertising hype. If you want a decent electric trimmer buy a litle wonder, but you will still need to spend some time with lopping shears first.

Since when was Ivy a hedge?

Reply to
bamboo

yes. And it will say Stihl on the side of it.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT