CPVC valves

I need to revamp some of the plumbing in my basement which, among other things, involves relocating and replacing some of the valves in the limes. Problem is that in my opinion CPVC valves are junk. They either leak or break outright. The ones with the multiple turn round handle are completely useless. The quarter turn ball valves are better but I sure don't trust them. I'm thinking of splicing in copper valves instead but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to. Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Thanks,

Reply to
coustanis

Well, I had the "back up" valve for the outside hose bib in place for (I estimate) 10 years. It was a "multi-turn" job. That's a pretty good record.

I have two brass valves that "mate" to copper or plactic with the same kind of plastic parts and metal washer used in the above. Again, no problem in over 10 years.

The "valve" part seems to be pretty strong. I just got a few more: one for the cold outlet for the washing machine and another as "backup" to the dishwasher. (I wanted a cap while I was remodeling but the salesman convinced me to just get a 1/2" quarter turn valve.

Of course, if they leak, I replace them. I did replace the main service valve on the property with 3/4" brass 1/4 turn with all metal compression fittings.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I think it's just you. I've never had that problem. Really.

Reply to
Doug Miller

brass copper ball valves are much better, I had plastic ones break at the worst possible time.

It costs more but worth the cost and effort.

Reply to
hallerb

I use brass ball valves with NPT and male adaptors. Just tighten the adaptors into the valves before hand with the proper dope, then glue them in as if they were a plastic valve.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Same here. They are not a spendy item in the smaller (1/2 or 3/4) sizes.

I did use some big plastic ones on an outside line once. Must have not drained the system well enough because both of them were cracked the next spring.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K