costco honda generator

I'm talking about "over there": the UK. It was just plain Ferguson to start with, and Massey-Harris was a different make. Then they merged -- or M-H bought Ferguson. Maybe in the late 1950s.

I understand that the IH TD-x tractors/'dozers had an additional valve in each cylinder that opened to an "extension of the combustion chamber" (for want of a better term) in which the spark plugs were located, thus reducing the compression ratio; petrol/gasoline would have exploded rather than burned with a diesel-appropriate compression ratio. They had spark plugs, magneto and carburettor as well as injectors. There were two controls to effect the changeover, IIRC: one near the left front (perhaps to switch fuel supplies), plus a lever accessible from the driver's seat. Clouds of black smoke at the changeover.

Steered with two clutch levers and two brake pedals. Steering by clutch reversed when going downhill! I only ever drove one in a field, never on a road.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

When you say 'gas', do you mean ( liquid petroleum / natural etc ) gas or gasoline ? We solve this confusion in the UK by calling gasoline 'petrol' ( from 'petroleum' ). Petrol, gas and diesel engined vehicles all operate on our roads.

Graham

and to the MORMOM, please don't 'top post' since most people prefer to see a post that starts with thee question and finishes with the answer or follow-up comment.

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

ide quoted text -

And when the kids in school ask for a rubber nobody stares, it means eraser

Reply to
ransley

In the U.S., "rubbers" used to commonly mean "rubber overshoes".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Or butts and bums.

"Two great nations divided by a common language" (George Bernard Shaw? Winston Churchill?)

But problems may arise in other varieties of English too. I had not been in Australia long when I heard somebody ask for some Durex. In UK, as in USA, Durex was/is a common brand of condom. Perhaps Durex condoms did exist in Australia too, but it was also the brand of a widely used adhesive tape (a local equivalent of "Scotch tape" -- or "Sellotape" for the Brits; does the latter still exist?).

Perce (dual-citizen OzBrit -- aka "whingeing Pommie bastard" -- in exile in US Midwest)

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

"DeCompression Lever" or "Compression Release Lever" ... Listers are famous for them....

Reply to
Bruce in alaska

I have a Austin/Western Grader that has such an IH Engine in it. It is a Gasoline Engine on one side, (Carburetor, Distributer, Coil, and SparkPlugs) and a Diesel Engine on the other side> (Injection Pump, Injectors, etc) To Start it, You opened the Gasoline Fuel Valve, put the Change-Over Lever in Gasoline Mode, add about 1/2 Choke, and Crank. Starts within 25 seconds, even down at -15F. Once started, you slowly open the Choke, as the engine warms up, until it is wide open. Then wait

5 minutes for the block to warm. Once it is warm, you move the Fuel Rack of the Injection Pump from Cutoff, to Idle, and watch the resulting Black Smoke to turn to Dark Gray, and then move the Mode Lever, to Diesel. WollLa, you now burning Diesel, and you can turn off the Ignition System, and shut off the Gasoline Fuel Supply. Shutting down the engine is the above, in reverse. If you don't do the shutdown, via Burning Gasoline, you have a lot harder time getting the engine to Start, next time you want to run it.
Reply to
Bruce in alaska

One of my favorite stories, was the English man in US during the war. He was on the phone. The operator came on, asked if he was through. He said yes, so she disconnected him. He was storming about that over breakfast the next day. His host found the problem.

For the English, Through = connected. Are you "through to your party yet?". In America, Through = compelted. "Are you through with your call?"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Comprethion leffer. Thpoken with a lithp. Ith a lithter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And don't even start with "knock you up"

... that is not a Palin joke.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm told of an English gentleman who left strict instructions for the desk in NYC, but he was a bit surprised who was at his door the next morning. Strumpets! Tea and strumpets, you see.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yup; my uncle, in the UK, had a Fordson tractor that started on petrol and then changed over to paraffin (With ignition not in diesel mode AFIK) in the 1940s. Also on one occasion, here in NA, my Briggs and Stratton gasoline/ petrol mower ran out of fuel. It was hot; so just for the heck of it I finished mowing using kerosene/paraffin. Also here to avoid waxing problems in storage cold climate and to avoid need to for separate storage tanks in small community fuel depots diesel and furnace oil were (and still are AFIK) the same product. Newfoundland Canada.

Reply to
stan

everton

Hey dead man, soon(5 months) you won't have money to buy Arab oil, why? because your dollar is fallen like a rock.

Why do you people still believe you have face ?

Reply to
Richardson

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news:h4gajo$t8i$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

In the USAF an airplane that is ready to fly is "In" - (in commission) One that is not ready to fly is "Out" (out of commission) One which is flying is "Up" One which has landed is "Down"

In the US Navy an airplane that is ready to fly is "Up" (ie, up on the carrier deck) One which is not ready is "Down" (ie, down below on the hangar deck)

The Canadian forces keep their aircraft hangared, so in the Canadian forces an airplane that is ready to fly is "Out" (ie, outside) One which is not ready to fly is "In" (In the hangar).

To compound the problem, at one time I was on exchange with the Canadian Forces, with the rank of Captain There was a Canadian Group Captain on exchange with the USAF. We both landed at Winnipeg flying T-33s, -- but the Canadian was flying a USAF T-33, and the American was flying a Canadian T-33 -- and we both had the same last name! And then my airplane - the Canadian airplane - broke and needed maintenance. Confusing the last names, the ground crew made the logical assumption that the Canadian airplane was being flown by the Canadian pilot, and called the group captain to tell him his aircraft was not flyable. I walked in wearing my USAF flight suit and asked if my airplane was "In," meaning in commission. Thinking I wanted the USAF airplane they told me my aircraft had been serviced and was ready to fly, so I went to ops, prepared and filed a flight plan, then headed to the flight line. The ground crew had a crewchief stationed at the American airplane ready to start, but I was looking for the Canadian airplane and couldn't find it. When I went back to maintenance to find my airplane they still thought I was looking for the USAF airplane and they told me it was "out." (outside) but I thought it was "out" (of commission), I said "You had told me it was "In" (commission)" and they replied, "No, it's the Canadian T-33 that's In (for maintenance). The American T-33 is "Out" (outside.)".

Me: "Wait a minute, I'm Capt. Jones -- I'm flying the Canadian T-33. Who's flying the American T-33?" Maintenance: "I thought you were flying the American airplane, which is out. Group Captain Jones is flying the Canadian T-33, and right now it's in." Me: "No, I brought in the Canadian T-33 and the last I heard it was out, but you just told me it's in. Maintenance: "Sir, the Canadian T-bird IS in, and it'll stay in until we get a replacement pitot head. The American T-bird is out but Group Captain Jones hasn't shown up so we may bring it back in."

Abbot and Costello would have been proud of us --

Reply to
JimR

Or the time I met a pretty girl in Holy Loch Scotland. She told me I should "Come 'round tomorrow and knock me up." Being 'knocked up' over there has an entirely different meaning than in the States :-)

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Was that maybe because if you shut it down on diesel, the cylinder and plugs and such would be coated in diesel and not fire well?

I remember a friend of my dad that had a tractor with three tanks. He had color-coded them, red for gas, green for diesel, and blue for water. ISTR when running on diesel it also used a bit of water in the cylinder. To help compression?

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

You did better than me! To me, those Holy Loch girls may as well have been speaking Swahili. Couldn't understand a word they were saying. Strangely, I quickly figured out that it was only a one-way problem; they could understand me just fine. I guess it was the USA'n TV shows and movies that they were always watching.

Boy! This thread is really drifting around.

Vaughn

Reply to
vaughn

And you are easily confused.

Also blind user readers need bottom posting.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

And "Humping" means something totally different!

Reply to
harry