Church without power

OK, be honest with us. After reading the articles do you think that your church will lose power on 11/13?

It's quite all right if you do, I'm just curious. Since you started this thread, I'm willing to think that you did, at least at the beginning - unless you just wanted to start a thread for the conversation. However, I'm curious if you really do in fact still believe that they are going to shut the grid off on 11/13.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm in a rough spot. If I contract for a generator and the grid stays up, then I'm in a world of looking bad. Won't be the first time. You're right to check the forecast a couple days ahead of time. The building is masonry, and some of the pipes are fastened to the outside wall (not designed for NYS). They have to keep the heat over 65 in the winter, or the pipes freeze.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And of course, venting to the outside loses heat. Can't win some times. I like the generator for smaller heat zone idea. Already vented. Well, if the natural gas remains on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think the present batch of elected officials is governing against the will of the people. The take over of every aspect of our lives is really getting worse. General Motors take over, shutting down business, DHS check points being rolled out, and so on. Right about now, would be a great time for a grid shut down, to divert attention from one scandal or other. And to provide a crisis (not to go to waste) to impose more control. Do I believe they will? I am not sure if they will. But I am certain that it's possible, and well within the list of things these folks will do to further their agenda.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh, for f*ck's sake. It's a SIMULATION, you paranoid numbnut. It's just part of emergency planning. They've done them before, they'll do them again and again. Just like they do simulations for other disasters.

You guys cry wolf every single time. And you're wrong every single time.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Maybe their paranoia and preparations are merely a simulation as well? What if they threw a simulated disaster and nobody came?

With the power out it's hard to differentiate between a German Shepherd and a wolf sometimes. Depending on where one lives or was raised, it's difficult to tell between a wolf and a French Poodle.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Would be nice if this turned out to be "just a drill". But, after what I've seen for the last few years, I don't know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about a Kenyan imposter?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

well look at it this way, buy a generator that can power one furnace at a time.. plus some lights and other critical things.

not for this simulated disaster but any time power fails..

you could promote your idea of a generator as a investment for your community.

if the power fails someday your church would have enough power to be a shelter for the neighborhood and or your members, besides protecting your valuable investment your building.

later you could suggest some emergency food. MREs or shelf stable stuff that can be rotated out for the needy before they get too old.

and dont forget bottled water.

Reply to
bob haller

can power one furnace at a time.. plus some lights and other critical things.

power fails..

investment for your community.

enough power to be a shelter for the neighborhood and or your members, besides protecting your valuable investment your building.

MREs or shelf stable stuff that can be rotated out for the needy before they get too old.

One of these days, I'll check the amp draw of the furnace. Maybe someone out there has a 230/1 generator I can use if there is a cut. It would take some custom temporary wiring, but that's OK. I have done that. I can imagine them open the doors as shelter.

I'd also like to see water and food stored. The church policy prohibits food storage in the meeting houses. Water, not sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The idea of providing shelter for residents is good. That not only is a nice gesture but believe it or not but the heat contribution of a living human is not negligible.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Some where (probably in the confidential book) are some guidelines as to use of LDS buildings as shelters.

You're right, that humans put out heat. I used to remember, there is an average figure of BTU per hour per average person. That's cooling load in summer, reduced heating load in winter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good shop vac might help as blowing out the lines does not always work.

Reply to
NotMe

Shop vac needs electric. Fortunately, I do have small generator. I'd be using a compressor, and blow out adapter. I've blown out RV / camper, and need to make a different adaptor to be able to pressurize a hose bib, other type of thread.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gunner Asch on Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:27:54 -0700 typed in alt.survival the following:

Or, you can also - turn off any water heaters, and lock them out. (It could be as simple as a sign saying "Building has been Winterized, the water lines are empty." over the "on" switches.) Open a faucet at the far end (or highest) of the building Hook an air compressor to the hose bib (simple enough adaptor to connect the air line to the water line. Pressurize the water line with air, and "blow it clear". Add the anti-freeze to any toilet tanks. MARK EVERYTHING.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The heat output of an adult human is about 100 watts or 340 BTU/hour. Some humans, of course, radiate more than others.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

There is so, so much I could say here, but I'll limit it to a phrase often uttered by one of the more prominent posters in this ng:

Good Grief!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The WH are upstairs in mechanical room. Few people know where they are, and few have key to that room. I've never tried to blow out a building that size. But, between gravity and air pressure, ought to work. I'd have to cancel all meetings, and that would be interesting. Not sure I have that authority. One of those "damn the torpedoes" and go ahead and do it anyway. I cancelled a satellite broadcast, one time. That was interesting.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks, glad someone remembered.

Reply to