Choosing a Toilet

Hi,

I'm replacing an old full flow toilet. I know I have get a low flow one, and the ones I've bought in the past either get clogged easily or require two flushes. I've heard that the low flows have come a long way since they first came out, especially in throat design. Is this true?

Are pressure assist toilets worth it?

Anyone know if American Standard's Best Flushing System is any good?

I'd like a two piece (easier to lift and install than a one piece) round toilet that flushes efficiently.

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I just (well last year) replaced a toiled with a new low flow. Have not clogged it yet. I'm happy with it. Of course it is one piece (I can't stand two piece units because of the crud that builds up between the pieces) and has an elongated bowl - a welcome option for the little guy during those sit down moments :)

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

I got a Kohler Wellworth 2 piece two years ago that has not clogged or needed two flushes.

Reply to
Alan

Kohler Wellworth is the way to go... I've installed four of em over the past two years... good toilet... good price...

Reply to
Me

Gotta agree on the Kohlers. I like the fact that the tank has 3 bolts, rather than 2. Easier to install.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:57:56 +0000 (UTC), Bruce wrote (with possible editing):

I'm not an expert by any means, but am in a similar situation. I've seen this question posted here and elsewhere many times. I'm not knocking Kohler (have three of them myself) but the brand that's recommended the most seems to be Toyo.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Gerber with a Sloan pressure valve works well. Kohler with the same valve also works well but is noisier. My parents have 2 new Gerbers and I have 4 Kohlers. One advantage to the Sloan valve is that not only does the pressure give a powerful flush but it also senses back pressure so if there is a clog it instantly stops flushing and cannot cause an overflow.

Reply to
Art Begun

Toyo gravitiy did not do great in Consumer Reports tests. Kohler and Gerber with Sloan pressure valve did much better.

good?

Reply to
Art Begun

Bruce wrote in news:Xns942F8E1097765SpongeBob@13.1.103.31:

Thanks for all the replies. I did go to kohler.com and saw the Wellworth. It looks like one of the Kohlers I saw at Home Depot. All of you gave it good marks. I'll have to consider it.

As a funny aside, the last Kohler I had was an expensive one piece installed in 1991, before 1.6 gpf was mandated. I had nothing but trouble with it, but I'm sure things have changed. The toilet it replace worked fine, but my then 3-year old stuffed a plastic toy (a blue plastic duck for the tub) down its throat, which I discovered only after using a mirror as a periscope. I removed the old toilet, and still couldn't get the darn toy out, even by breaking the toy, so I decided to install the Kohler. The good old days!

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

"Art Begun" wrote in news:F17sb.21345$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Art,

I get Consumer Reports, but I don't remember that one. Do you know what issue this was?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

[snippage]

Uh, there's a one-year index in every issue ;-). I believe it's "Toto" not "Toyo." My anecdotal experience is the less expensive Toto works well, but is noisy, and more expensive than but not noticably better than the Kohler Wellworth.

Reply to
Luke

I just went through the same thing - looking at the PA models. We ended up with the new American Standard Champion. It's not pressure assist, but has some impressive marketing material. Also looks like less to go wrong than a pressure assist. Works well so far, relatively quiet (PAs are loud IIRC). Would recommend

Reply to
Alex Kerin

We've had 1.6 gpf Wellworth and 1.6 gpf American Standard Cadet III for

10 years. Both worked flawlessly. The Cadet needed a new float valve after 9 years, the Wellworth is still going strong. Unless someone has an unusual problem, either should be fine. And they're inexpensive.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

I've had 4 Sloan valve pressure assisted Kohler's in my house for 7 years and none have needed any service. But they are noisy. I just got my parents 2 Gerbers with the same sloan valve and they are quiet and very fast. Don't know if the SLoan valve is quieter now of if it is the toilet design.

Gerbers

piece)

relatively

Reply to
Art Begun

By the way the early Kohler PA toitets did not use Sloan valves and actually were known to blow up from the pressure. Kohler never did a recall despite complaints. The valve company disappeared.

The Wellworth are available in pressure asissted and gravity. Make sure you get the one you want. The tank is the only difference as of the last time I looked. That and the price. The Sloan valve version is probably $200.

easily or

Wellworth.

mirror as a

Reply to
Art Begun

Experts say it is not a problem. It has not been a problem in my house. I had to remove a Kohler pressure assisted toilet when we first moved into my house and I could not believe how clean the pipe was. (There was nothing wrong with the toilet but it wasn't installed right.)

piece)

Reply to
Art Begun

Bruce wrote in news:Xns942F8E1097765SpongeBob@13.1.103.31:

Interesting comments here; Wellworth vs. American Standard Champion

Bruce

We have the 1.6 gpf Wellworths (three of them) and like them so well we stayed with them when we had a choice for the new house. They're the standard option in this development and everyone I've spoken to is very happy with them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer