Chipmunks

Hi,

Any good advice on getting rid of chipmunks who've apparently decided to take up residence in a wall of our home? i know I could use mouse poison, antifreeze, all sorts of things, but I'd rather not kill them, just make them go elsewhere. I've found where they're going in and out, and thought about just plugging it, but if they're inside, then they will either die eventually and stink, or chew a new access hole to get out, which kind of defeats my purpsose either way.

I'd prefer to just force them to move on. Anyone know the best way? Can't trap them; tried. They're too smart I guess. Even tried cashews and peanut butter to en tice them into it! All I caught were two mourning doves.

We're also in the country so no problem with them finding somewhere else to go.

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet

T.P.

Have you tried setting your trap up where there are getting inside your house?

Reply to
Patch

Pop Rivet wrote:>

A few mothballs may do the trick. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Unless you get rid of the whole family they and the babies will dig there way back in even if you seal the entrance. Ive sealed one entrance

15 times with gravel , they just dig a new one nearby. They will even eat through your wood, even a 4x4 to get in. It is happening to me 4x4 eaten through. . Trap or poison. Unless you want to nock holes in all your walls and put in mothballs, they will get in and move to a new wall. Flying squirrels are common , nocturnal and also do this, you dont see them, they are out at night but they crawl around noisly at night in walls. Im past traps and mothballs and ultrasonic and cats an on to poison in the holes, 4 yrs of fighting nice and no more. They are determined, after all it is their wall, not yours. they were there first. Try traps. Maybe you will be lucky and not catch squirrels cats and Skunks, but poison works and they will die outside.
Reply to
m Ransley
040707 1132 - Tom posted:

Have you ever smelled mothballs?

Reply to
indago

"Tom" wrote

What do you have if you have a moth ball in this hand, and a moth ball in that hand?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It you must kill them in the end use the good old auto exhaust gas method.

Reply to
KLM

Nope, can't quite seem to get their little legs apart!

Reply to
rickm

You've got to use a very small box trap. And I've been most successful using walnuts with a commercial lure called 'Pecan Surprise.' I use the lure to stick a walnut to the trap pan. Put the trap near the chipmunk burrow entrance in a spot where it is sheltered by vegetation -- not out in the open. The hardest one to trap is the first one. Once you've had an animal in the trap it gets easier.

Pat Kiewicz