chipmunks nesting in our walls

Some chipmunks have apparently taken up residence inside one of our exterior walls. They're apparently entering under the siding just above ground level.

Now that they're inside the walls, and presumably starting a family for the spring (we're in Wisconsin, where the spring is just starting), I'm hesitant to just seal off the any entry ways I find; I'd rather try to find a way to evict them first.

Someone I know suggested inserting a bag of mothballs into the affected wall, on the theory that the pungent odor would drive the chipmunks out. One problems is that I can't seem to find the old pungent style (napthalene?) mothballs any more, only a new variety that is supposedly toxic to moths but not as smelly. Would it work against chipmunks?

Other ideas?

____________ Grant Petty University of Wisconsin-Madison Browse my new book "A First Course in Atmospheric Radiation" at

Grant

try amonia

Reply to
Laurent Doiron

I just bought a box of the smelly ones at hd or menards threw them in my attic and critters are gone

Reply to
m Ransley

great idea! wish I'd thought of it...

Reply to