Killing or Re-locating Chipmunks - HELP

I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen burrowing under it. One of my neighbors has an 4 year old brick walkway which collapsed because the chipmunks borrowed under it. Hav-a-hart traps have not worked. So far I have tried rat traps with peanut butter bait and managed to kill one, I knocked off several this summer by using a 5 gallon pail with a little water in, floating peanut butter in it and a 2 x 4 walkway just touching the edge of the bucket. I managed to kill

3 this way. I am wondering if D-Con is effective against chipmunks and if so which D-CON, mice or norway rats. What if anything, is effective ? HELP !

Thank You,

Howard Epstein snipped-for-privacy@FCC1.biz

Reply to
Howard Epstein

Get a cat. We have two and they average about 2 chipmunks a day each. The population has been impacted significantly. Chipmunks are the dumbest animals I've seen but they are prolific.

Boden

Howard Epste> I recently had a brick walkway installed and the chipmunks can be seen

Reply to
Boden

It is my understanding that one of the few deterrents for chipmonks is coyote urine. You may try a search on the web for chipmonk control.

Coyote urine is stocked by many of the area nurseries.

Stan

{Delete nospam for email}

Reply to
ssody

Better batten the hatches Howard. There are some misguided idiots out there who will take issue with your attempts to kill these pesky creatures.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

I have the same problen but they burrow under it to get into the house, which is probably your case , they like it warm in winter, and will eat through a 4x4 to make an entrance. Ever hear any noise in your walls at night . Unless your house has no wood even a sill plate they are inside. Check your basement near the holes. Nothing has worked for me either. try pouring poison pellets down the hole. I am going to try antifreeze in a tray covered by a box with a littlle hole, so large animals dont get it . Honestly im at a loss , I have at least 4 in here and the neigbors cat visits to hunt. Now here will follow some amimal rights asstivists, Im worried about a fire and them chewing my wires. Kill EM

Reply to
mark Ransley

It seems obvious from your and your neighbor's experience that chipmunks are a fact of life in your neighborhood. Like any other fast-breeding rodent, eradication may be impossible. One thing you can do is anticipate the damage and try to prevent it. With absolutely no experience or expert knowledge, I'm thinking some sturdy 1/4" wire mesh (hardware cloth) sunk along the sides of your walkways to depth greater than their burrowing habits.

Reply to
Frogleg

Reply to
jmagerl

Like Frogleg said heavy wire mesh burried 1 foot down may help. I did this on my shed and no problems so far. But what happens to the ones you trap inside, well hopefully they die and dont dig out a new hole. Ultrasonics do nada . They may go to the attic mine go up 3 stories to make their home , mothballs in the attic may help , but only to make them live lower in the walls. A big problem for me is I have alot of Oak trees, so they already have food for the winter, unless you get something they like better. In winter , drinking water will be their problem, so antifreeze may do it, or a liquid drinkable poison. I found 7 holes they ate through the walls so far.

Reply to
mark Ransley

jmagerl , What did you use as bait, and why wouldnt a regular trap work as well.

Reply to
mark Ransley

After sealing 7 holes and one in my sill through a 4x4 with stainless steel wool and concrete , one day I heard them digging out next to the area I sealed. Sealing the holes under the concrete is worthless, the just dig another, Maybe heavy wire mesh , as they eat through thin aluminum also.

Reply to
mark Ransley

If you are sure holes dont go into your house try Gopher bombs, Sodium nitrate, But any fumes getting in your house are realy dangerous , dont use them if your house is downwind, and be prepared to leave for a few hours with windows open to air it out if you smell anything. They do make tunnels up to 25 feet, how about gassing with propane.

Reply to
mark Ransley

The bucket idea is quite clever. Do the chipmunks drown or do you have to dispatch them after being trapped? I'd like to try this on our chipmunk problem. I've had some success with the Hav-a-harts. I used to bait then with mixed bird seed but found if I put the traps where they run near their burrows, they go through them with or without bait. I think their curiosity gets the better of them. I make it a point not to clean the trap after relocating the animals. I am concerned that the trap would small "suspicious" to a chipmunk.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron

In article , snipped-for-privacy@voNGicenet.com says... :) The bucket idea is quite clever. Do the chipmunks drown or do you have :) to dispatch them after being trapped? I'd like to try this on our chipmunk :) problem. :) :) The way I heard to use the bucket is to use birdseed on the ramp and to pour a layer of the seed on the water...it floats and has the appearance of being solid ground. There will be a fine line of enough water where they don't drown or are able to get leverage to jump out. Or you can place a small stick where they can get some rest and not drown (if you so desire) but not too large so they are able to use it to get out.

Reply to
Lar

We've had a chipmunk living under the concrete slab of our garage for a couple years, and he hasn't caused any problems. But if you have multiple chipmunks, I can see how that might cause problems.

Our chipmunk was attracted to our yard because of our bird feeder ... he'd always be eating and cleaning up the spilled grains. Anyway, the reason I mention this is because if you and/or your neighbors have bird feeders, you may just want to take them down and see if the chipmunks eventually move to a different area that has more food for them. Same thing with water sources ... our chipmunk will actually go to our dog's outdoor water bowl to get water. If you eliminate their man-made food (bird feeders) and water (shallow dog bowls ...use buckets with high sides) sources, maybe they'll move along ... or at least you'll attract fewer chipmunks to your yard in the future, once the existing ones are gone.

Reply to
Dave K.

once established...chipmunks do not leave... personally i like feeding the birds, but the chopmumks have chewed their way into my garage.... i have replaced the rubber strip on the average every 3 months.... even after soaking it in chayenne pepper mixture... so i have taken up the sport of marksman with an old crossman air rifle.... 4x scope... deadly accurate at 35 feet... am sighting in 2 new rifles... a 20 cal benjamin and a single pump wms.... both with scopes... the ONLY thing i shoot are the chipmunks...

Reply to
WARRENRN1

My problem is a ground hog! How do ya get rid of one of them?

Nope, shooting will not work here, unless I plan on spending some time in jail...........

Reply to
The Jarhead