Broken automatic oiler on Poulan Pro 260 chain saw

I've confirmed that the automatic oiler on my well maintained, 1.5 year old saw has stopped working (burned up bar and chain before I knew). I removed the chain brake cover and blew out (with compressed air) all accumulated debris. Ran the saw at mid throttle without the chain and bar and didn't see any oil output. The passage from the oil reservoir is clear (emptied oil and blew compressed through passage from chain brake to reservoir). Any clues? And how exactly does the saw force the oil from the resevoir, through the passage, and onto the bar? The Poulan manual and consumer support 800 rep are useless.

Would love to fix this myself; can't afford the downtime at the shop right now.

-- Bruce

PS - This saw has been nothing but trouble. I use it to maintain my

25 acres and to cut wood to heat my home. I'll be buying a higher end model next time.
Reply to
Bruce

I'd go get the saw you want today and fix this one at your leisure. Always good to have a second class saw in the shop for when the good one breaks. That's what our Homelites are for. Gastonia, NC has a Homelite factory so refurbished units are plentiful here.

As to what saw you get? Another thread but my vote is for Stihl.

Reply to
Michael

I vote Husqvarna but Stihl does make a great saw too.

Reply to
Brikp

Gets my vote, too.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I would vote for either. Actually I have 2 stihl and 1 husky. Two saws always go with me so I have a backup in case of failure or to cut my way out if I get pinched. Of course the main reason for 2 (or 3) is that each has a different length bar and is used where they are best fitted. 16" (limbing/trim, 20" main bucking, 24" for the bigger stuff).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

There are AFAIK only two types of oiler, mechanical, i.e., a pump or via a "pulse line" off the crankcase. The mechanical ones are not that expensive of a fix. I don't know what you do with the pulse line type other than be sure the line itself is okay.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K