Chain Saw: Which To Purchase ?

Ment to say 18 instead of 10.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Well, the zero and eight keys are often pretty close across the top of the keyboard. No worries.

You meant to say, not ment to say? Sigh. Must be the heat?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, but I like to fantasize, and actually I learned something important from your answer here:

This might explain the difference in estimates I got, $200 vs. $800, maybe because the first guy will climb up and the second one needs a bucket truck, a small one if they exist since the tree is 100 feet from the road.

Even the cheap place wanted 150 to 225 to grind the stump, and I want to plant another tree in the same place or close by, so I guess I need to grind the stump??? Or would some stump remover powder like this one

make an 18" diameter stump rot away in a year?

Reply to
Micky

LOL. I did wonder about that. What kind of guy would talk a

10-year old into doing that.
Reply to
Micky

I googled about powder and it said it took years, and I'd have to keep applying powder every 2 weeks and removing wood, and at my age, I don't want to wait years, so guess I'll pay, but it's interesting that they want as much to remove the stump as to remove the tree. It probably takes more time.

Reply to
Micky

I was probably more agile when I was younger, or at least when I was thinner.

I keep losing my balance now, but maybe that's because I've been walking on very uneven surfaces. It must be because it doesn't happen when I walk on flat surfaces, except when there is a twinge from one hip.

And little wounds on my skin never fully go away anymore. I said something to the doctor about not "healing" and he perked up, but in practice it was a bad choice of words and when I explained, he almost scoffed at me. His eyebrows scoffed at me. There's a spot on my wrist, and on my upper arm that just don't turn back to perfect flat skin like every wound used to. And one below my knee, and a spot on my nose t hat isn't really visible if I don't mess with it, but I can go six months without touching it, and it still isn't gone. This is definitely because I'm 69, isn't it?

And I don't know for sure if bones would knit in six weeks like they used to. My aunt broker hip when she was 90 years old, and she healed in 6 weeks, and was walking around normally again, but I gather that is unusual for women -- don't know about men. She lived to 103.

Reply to
Micky

OTOH, this page says it only takes "several weeks"

That seems to be even if you don't use his final step, letting kerosene soak in for a couple weeks and then burning.

But the first one says "Often the process of decay can take several years. "

Quite a difference.

Renting a stump grinder is $109.00 4-Hour (Minimum) or $155.00 Per Day, so that's not worth it if they want 150 to 225, although they didn't say how deep they grind.

Reply to
Micky

Father Treeclimber?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As I understand it, dirt and sand and rocks are in roots (the roots grow around the rocks). The roots tend to really destry any kind of mechanism. Saws go dull, stump grinders need a lot of power and carbide teeth, which teeth need to be replaced often.

One time I tried to take out a small (about five inch diameter) tree with a sawzall. Harbor Freight white blades don't last more than a minute or two.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had good success with Nelson's tea tree cream. One grocery near me had it, but no longer. Can be had through Ebay. I've not checked Amazon. A tiny bit of tea tree cream on a bandage over the wound, and I heal much faster.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I certainly have a lot of rocks. I find them every time I dig a hole. Part of my yard, maybe not where the tree is, is landfill. Instead of the way it was, the ground gradually sloping toward the stream, it's mostly level, and just past my yard there's a 6' "cliff" into the high-water stream bed. I think it was the builder's own landfill and it came with lots of rocks.

Reply to
Micky

Thanks. By most standards, I've healed. There's no soreness, redness, nothing seeping out. It just doesn't feel just like the surrounding skin (maybe somehow flat but not soft), and in some cases the the skin is higher than next to it. Is it still worth using?

Reply to
Micky

I usually dig until the exposed roots are small enough to be cut with a chisel and a masonry mallet. You do need to sharpen the chisel to a knife edge, and re-sharpen if the roots have any embedded rocks.

You might also use an axe head with a sledge hammer for the roots near the surface where you have enough room to really swing. The biggest problem with this method is removing the axe head after you have completed the cut, because it is still firmly stuck (rooted?) between the two pieces of wood.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

A tube is about $17 online on Ebay. Sounds like you're not really bothered by the spot. Probably not worth it, at this point.

OTOH, the burn on my finger (memorial day, two and a half weeks ago) I think has healed faster. Not all healed, but making progress.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Log splitting wedge would work better and be safer, not to mention saving the life a a good axe-head;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett