Which Bandsaw to purchase?

Help me, I'm a torn man, trying to decide which of these 14" bandsaws to purchase. 1> Grizzly G0555 - can't beat the price, and I do really like the new green and white color scheme that Grizzly seems to be going to (very stylish!). 2> Shop Fox W1706 - Cabinet stand version of the G0555. Has cast iron wheels instead of aluminum (if that makes any difference). New model, no idea of the price. White color.

3> Bridgewood BW-14WBS - Love that Euro look. Same fence as models above. Boring Green (green is so overdone!). $549
have any experience(s) with those specific Shop Fox or Bridgewood saws? And yes, I do want my workshop to be stylish and colorful!

Reply to
Don

Don asks:

I don't have experience with that Shop Fox, but I do have the 16". I'd go with the Shop Fox based on my experience with that one.

Don't know where you'd get it, though. See if the Shop Fox site lists retailers. It isn't on the Grizzly site, though my 16" is. You might check the Grizzly catalog, which sometimes seems more complete than their web site.

Too, check out Shop Fox by phone. They will be able to give you info about dealers, I'm sure.

Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

I bought the GO555 last year and love it.I sold my Crapsman bandsaw to buy it.For the same money the Griz outdoes the Cprapsman

4-1.
Reply to
Jeff Balcom

None. :-) Seriously, while all three saws should be good I'd recommend shopping around for a good used Rockwell/Delta with the upper and lower micrometer blade guide adjustments. That alone is worth the extra price, though buying used will negate that. You could live without it, but once you've used the micrometer guide adjustment you'll love it. Buying used will leave you with left over money to hop up the saw with Cool Blocks, PowerTwist link belts, a better aftermarket fence etc. I bought my open stand Delta and it came with a

1hp motor, mobile base, fence and miter gauge all for $250.

Look in your local paper, Ebay, Pennysaver, word of mouth, local used machinery dealers, etc. Know what to look for and what you want. Have cash on hand and be ready to buy on the spot....these things do sell fast.

If you do go with the Shop Fox (or any other BS) you definately want the cast iron wheels. It makes a HUGE difference. More mass means more inertia. Your motor won't have to work as hard resawing and your cuts will be smoother (provided the wheels are true and balanced).

Happy BS hunting,

Layne

Reply to
Layne