Cement On Truck Paint

I was driving on a road with some run-off from a house where they were pouring some cement and some wet cement splashed up onto the sides of my truck. Of course I didn't realize this until two weeks later, when the cement was good and dry. Any ideas how to get the cement off of my paint without destroying the paint?

Thanks.

Reply to
Raptornaut

To quote from

it should be pretty simple "Cement and plaster are alkaline compounds. They are easily removed from clothes, woodwork, your body and cars using distilled white vinegar (a mild acid). Simply soak a sponge with the vinegar and lay it on the cement spots for a few seconds. This will loosen the cement so it can be hosed away. It may take a couple applications to remove the cement from the car. Whatever you do, don't try to wipe the cement off with the sponge, as this will scratch the paint"

Reply to
John McGaw

you may need something a bit stronger than the acetic acid in vinegar....like pool acid, (HCl) dilute it a lot, wear rubber gloves, (it may dissolve your sponge so use a cloth rag) try it somewhere where the paint isn't very visible first, and don't sue me if it fux your paint up

Reply to
ken

I'll give 'em a try. Thank you.

Reply to
Raptornaut

IMHO the advice to try acids is dangerous to the finish. I recommend taking the truck to a detailing shop and letting them do a good safe job.

While a little vinegar won't usually hurt an auto paint finish, it is very easy to scratch the paint with the cement particles.

$100-200 for a good detailing job is a lot less than what it would cost to repair the finish if you make a mistake.

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Given the fact that acids attack cement, muriatic (HCl) or vinegar (acetic acid) will possibly work, but the first may be too rough for the paint and the second too slow to react. Another possibilty is oxalic acid, a component of common auto radiator flush compounds. Here applying a paste of a powdered product would be worth trying. Other acidic commercial materials are phosphoric acid types (Barkeepers Friend?) and sulfamic acid (CLR). Careful experimentation is called for with these. Don't be surprised if the finish has already been damaged by the alkaline cement. If you have a competent local auto body shop, check with experts there. It is likely that they have had to deal with just such a problem before and can offer some insights. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

That's funny Marc. All the detailing shops in my neighborhood are owned by excons who have a 3rd grade education. They don't know akaline from acid but they do know how to hire and train the cheer leaders.

Reply to
PJx

Reply to
nospambob

Just leave it. It will protect your paint. Or go to your local K-mart or parts store and get a can of touch up paint and paint over it, so it matches in color. If it took you 2 weeks to notice it, it can not look too bad, or you need new eye glasses.

Reply to
spamfree

Good God, it's only a truck. If it's that much of an eyesore, junk the damn thing and buy a new truck. The OP is probably one of these guys that hangs a dixie flag in the rear window, puts it into 4WD and goes mud bogging on the weekends after consuming large amounts of liquor.

The other option, take an angle grinder and grind it to bare metal, and take some old latex wall paint and paint the whole damn truck with a paint brush and roller. Do that after mud bogging and it will have a nice texture too. Of course there is also stucco paint......

Reply to
spamfree

Reply to
Jim85CJ

yeah... that guy must own a SUV, he's really a jerk!

Oh wait... I own a SUV.... never mind.

;)

flip

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Or just find a gravel colored paint and paint the whole truck with it.

Pj

Reply to
PJx

It has nothing to do with "racist". It's the other "R" word.

***REDNECK*** I bet he even has duct tape holding his bumper on.
Reply to
spamfree

Or yet another option. Coat the whole truck with roofing cement, and take coarse sand (with small stones in it), and just stick pour this sand over the roofing tar and be sure it sticks, The truck will look just like a gravel road. It's advised to place an orange strip all the way around the truck so that people dont just drive over the top of your truck with theirs.

Reply to
spamfree

What's with all this crap in your headers??????

Reply to
spamfree

You look at headers? Always?

Eewww.

I look at headers and make a living dealing with mail and knowing what headers mean. I know what these mean. It's a good idea; it's several years old and I hope it works.

there is a URL that you could ahve followed to save asking this question and having it stored on thousands of servers and sent to millions of people costing thousands of dollars.

But you did.

habeas warrants non-spam. more, if a spammer inserts their trademarked and copywrited phrases into spam to pass through habeas filters, they now fall into trademark violations and that chunk of the law.

But don't look at headers if they scare you.

Reply to
chuck yerkes

My my... What a can of worms I opened up by mentioning I own a truck and I like to keep it clean (does that qualify as an "oxymoron"?...I guess so).

It's a two-toned Dodge Ram with the "Driftwood" lower color, so yes, the cement sorta blends with the color of the paint.

And no, I'm not "...one of these guys that hangs a dixie flag in the rear window, puts it into 4WD and goes mud bogging on the weekends after consuming large amounts of liquor."

However, I do thank everyone for their advice. I'll try the suggestions and let you know the result.

Reply to
Raptornaut

The headers are there, and I have to scroll down 3 or 4 times to get to the message with all that garbage. That is why I see them.

Reply to
spamfree

Please send a photo of your truck WITHOUT any mud on it, or that dixie flag you got under your seat along with all the beer cans. Then we "might" believe you. There are only 2 kinds of guys that buy 4WD trucks. The mud bogging type, and those that haul farm equipment. (neither of which would worry about a little cement). Therefore, you can only be one of the 3rd types. Those that buy a 4WD pickup to impress women (or other men).... but they always end up mud bogging anyhow, because it is supposed to impress..... In other words, that truck becomes your "penis". (or your lack of penis for men who only got an inch, and use their trucks to impress, instead of their actual penis).

Reply to
philosopher-of-life