Ceiling Fan Hums

The ceiling fan in my bedroom hums away. After some trouble-shooting I believe it to be the capacitors. I have no idea what brand the fan is (came with the house). How do I determine the size and voltage of the capacitors to use in the replacement. Or is it standard on ceiling fans? I have seen generic capacitors at home depot in the lighting section, will they work just fine or do I need an exact replacement for my fan?

Thanks in advance, Craig

Reply to
Craig Robison

Generics work fine. One size produces low speed and another (higher value) gets you to medium speed. Without any cap. fan runs on full line voltage = high speed. Probably won't fix the hum though. This is usually caused by

Reply to
Craven Morehead