Casette Tape vs Online Music continuous play

I have a couple I can send you but they are pretty flaky. If you are in an area where there is a pretty wide band without any other FM stations they seem to be OK. In an urban area with a crowded dial, not so much. I tried all sorts of stuff before I got a real player. My original setup used a dummy tape cassette playing from line out of the PC. My Honda had an "Aux In" so it was easy.

Reply to
gfretwell

In Baltimore, 90.5 is vacant. I think 90.3 and 90.7 are too, or at least only have some small noises. . 90.1 is C-Span Radio, that most car radios but only a few home radios can receive.

Also the range of those cigarette lighter things goes one or two** notches above and below the FM band and my radios go that high and low, even though I dont' think there are any FM stations that do.

**TWo notches on the gizmo, which goes up and down 0.1 mHz at a time. That's one notch on the radio that goes 0.2 mHz at a time.

For one reason or another, for me the gizmo worked fine.

Reply to
micky

They sell devices under $20 that will plug into the back of many car radios and have a USB input and an AUX input. One was listed for my car, and I think if the car had been made later in 2005, it would have worked. It didn't, but I took the radio out to find that out for sure. (Crutchfield paid return postage and promptly returned my money)

In doing so, I was as gentle as could be, but still one place in the vinyl dash, it crumbled. Less than a cubic mm. but enough that I don't want to try it again or hve a pro try either.

The dash has 10 cracks, most 2 inches long. No cracks have gaps but I expect things to get worse, maybe a lot worse, before I get rid of the car around 2024.

I was also concerned that the steering wheel controls might not work right, even though crutchfield sells a dedicated kit.

It's a tan dash too. Don't black dashes crumble earlier, and do red dashes fade like the red street lines in a map I had that totally -- totally -- disappeared?

Sounds good.

Is that Roberta FLAC?

Wifi reaches my house and probably all of the yard, at least where a radio might be, but I don't have any wifi radios. I have a bluetooth radio that is about 40 feet from the computer and that is too far (so I ran a wire that works fine)

But I dont' want to run wires to the bathroom and the kitchen and the basement, so someone on sci.electronics.repair, I think it was, recommended an FM transmitter.

I got the little one, $10 or 15 and it wasn't enough (even though he thought it woudl be. ) so I got a 30 or 40 dolllar one and it reaches the whole house and any FM radio will receive it. 90.5 but it will xmit on any FM frequency. It's the strongest station on the dial when I'm playing something. I'm in a townhouse and I wonder if my next door n'bor get it, has come across it, and I wonder if she wonders why sometimes it s there and usually it's not. But it's a vacant frequency. I have a button on the radio for it so I check frequennty.

Great.

Reply to
micky

Exactly. I bought one** from Crutchfield, under $20, easy to install, into the CD changer port, but it didn't work. I tried everything. I think there was a one letter difference on the radio it would work with.

**It had USB and AUX and I bought extensions and a plate so I could mount it in the little box in the middle. I still have those things.

Worked in a 2002!!. :-( There is still a difference in radios possible. Mine, 2005 Solara (like a Camry), might be the first one with a GPS map.

Reply to
micky

FLAC is the other completely lossless audio format. If differs from WAV which is used on audio CDs in that it's compressed and therefore smaller than WAV.

Most other audio formats introduce loss, if you convert back and forth a few times eventually the audio will be a mess.

Bluetooth comes in class 1 and class 2. Class 2 is really short distances. Class 1 wasn't enough to reliably go through one wall into my backyard. WIFI does. I have one WIFI repeater in the house.

Reply to
Dan Espen

He's talkng about a CD changer port. Rectangular with 6, 8, or 10 or so pins. See if you can find a CD changer that would work with the radio and if there is one, there should be a port too.

No, they woudln't work with AUX but if y ou have a changer port, they'd probably work with a changer that plugged into it. But not with an AUX/USB port that plugged into it. .

They'd still work with whatever was in the radio itself.

You should definitely do that.

I bought a car with 130,000 miles on it (for $4000**) but I don't drive much either, especially not with the virus. Still, it's a 2005 and I expect all my cars to last forever but tthey all wear out at 7 years (one lasted 8.) I think I bought it 3 years ago so I only have another

  1. so in 2024, I'll buy a car made in 2012 to 2017 and it will have the fancy fadio I want. That's the plan.
** I only had 3 other choices and this was the best Solara I could find. The seller lives less than a mile away but woudn't tell me where. He met me in a parking lot and wouldn't even tell me his name. I had a lot of doubts about that but I want ed the car and the money changed hands only after the guy at the tag and title outlet said the car was now registered to me. The seller lied*** to me too about how long he'd owned it, but at least he actually owned it. ***I know because the Carfax for the owner before him included a whole summer or more when he claimed his daughter was driving it to school. But I don't rely on what the seller says anyhow. I don't even ask quesitons because I dont' want to make a liar out of the seller and I don't want to be mad when I find out he was lying. I'm not mad this time because I like the car.

The two times I've sold a car, I said nothing or almost nothing about its condition, and still the buyer of the first car was mad at me.

This was about 1981 and I was selling a 1967 Pontia Catalina convertible. He said it was for his 15 year old son to fix up and be ready when he was old enough to drive. Two or 3 weeks after he bought it I found a spare oil pan (why I had a spare oil pan I cannnot now imagine) and a couple other things, maybe an oil pan gasket, in a closet , and I called him to see if he wanted it. For free of course.

He was mad at me. He accused me of lying to him. He said the car overheated. It had never overheated for me. Not only that, that's just the kind of repair a 15-year old can make and can learn on. I don't think there ever was a son. He was planning on flipping it.

And oh yeah, the car only cost him $150. I figured any car that runs is worth $100 and 50 extra for being a convertible. I still can't believe the guy was mad at me. What a child. He never did want the extra parts.

I coudln't find more than one set of keys and fob for the second car, when he was here, but 3 weeks later, i found 3 more sets. I called him literally a dozen times and he never answered. He had answered before he came here to look at the car. I never had his address but I think he moved.

Reply to
micky

The map has details for some cities, but not all. It has Baltimore, DC, and I'm sure it has Philly and NYC. I haven't checked what is missing.

Right.

I think for a radio made later that year, I could have plugged a USB port into the changer port.

Reply to
micky

I used something like this item on a 2002 Highlander.

It plugged into the CD changer port on the back of the radio. You can see the connector and the port (on the back of the radio) in the photos at the link above. The one I used had the USB port and the Aux port on a small bracket that I attached to the bottom edge of the dash. The steering wheel controls worked with it because the radio thought it was a CD changer.

If your radio has a standard Toyota CD changer port, you're probably golden. It's a little more extreme, but you could also replace the whole radio unit. Even basic models come with USB these days and swapping a radio is easy. Check Crutchfield.com for info, not necessarily for buying.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

With the kind of adapter that I'm talking about, the steering wheel controls work with USB thumb drives. I can't remember if they also worked with devices plugged into the Aux port.

<snip>
Reply to
Jim Joyce

Ah, USB charger. Don't need one of those, that's what the cigarette lighter is for.

I'd like to play music off a USB stick since I can get my entire music collection on just one of them, but my Data CD MP3s work well enough. I can fit 31 thin case CDs in my center console and door pockets, but I don't need to carry all 31 of them at one time. Even when I was driving to work every day it took me over a week to get tired of one CD and switch to the next.

It's like when I had small tropical fish in a 6 ft long 60 gallon tank. The fish would swim to one end of the tank, turn around and forget they had been there already when they got to the other end. It was all new to them.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Have you tried putting the files into folders limited to 255 or less? I had that issue with mine and solved it with multiple folders.

Reply to
Xeno

What? No, not a charger. I was talking about taking advantage of the fact that many Toyota radios have a CD changer (not charger) port on the back of the radio. You can see it in the Amazon photo I linked earlier. Scion was part of Toyota, so I figured there was a chance that your radio also has a CD changer port, but perhaps not.

Right, I was also talking about being able to play music from a USB stick.

Sounds like a simple, perhaps happy, life.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

See, this is my problem:

Not Compatible with Factory Navigation System, which I have

1998-2002,Camry 1998-2003,Solara and I have a 2005 Solara

A Solara is much like a Camry, but I guess they used different radios since the compatible Camry ended a year earlier.

They might have another version that does work but I looked 3 years ago. I'll look again.... So far, they are all for Hondas.

Not necessarily. I had the port.

It's still a possibility I guess. The dash is no worse than 2 years ago, and while I had the radio out, I could alsso rewire the clock, trip computer, and thermometer so that they were always lit up. Now they are not lit up in the day time and most of the time I can't see what they say. I have the wiring manual and that would only take a little wire and two diodes.

Reply to
micky

That brings up another question. Other than youtube videos and some news on the PC, just about everything I watch I record off the air on a Philips DVDR. I use the lowest quality SuperLongPlaying, because I don't care about the picture quality and it's always good enough, and I can get more programs on the hard drive before it fills up.

But if I used a higher quality, would that make the sound better as well as the picture? I only care about the sound.

On Law & Order and occasionally other stuff, I have a hard time understanding because of the music, but surely the original was understandable.. On some shows I can understand clearly, but every so often a whole syllable is missing. I'll play it 3 times and it's definitely missing. It's not that my hearing is getting bad. It's too late to record that exact thing at higher quality, but in general, if the picture is recorded at higher quality, will the sound be also recorded at higher quality???

Because I can put in a bigger hard drive and have room for just as many shows but at higher quality, 2 or 3 times the equivalent of feet per minute.

Reply to
micky

I think you probably hit the nail on the head. With the factory Nav system you probably can't do the USB adapter mod.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Yes, I started out with the files in folders. The folders counted too toward the limit of 255. Interesting, I guess it all depends on who wrote the software for the radio.

So, I adjusted the software I wrote to randomly spread the collection over the CDs to change the filename from just trackname to trackname-artist-album. The longer filenames don't cause a problem. The actual track/artist/album I put in the EXIF data in the file so that the radio can display all that information. The radio can display filename, track name, artist name, or album.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Ah, I think someone else may have mentioned charging. My radio has an embedded CD player but no changer feature. I'll do some more searches and maybe even read the car manual to make sure I"m getting this right.

The fish never complained.

They really did look like they were exploring around the tank. There aren't a lot of brain cells in the smaller ones. They get a little smarter when you get to Cichlids.

I had that tank for over 20 years and specialized in creating a view. I had all kinds of aquatic plants and very colorful fish. I even had a species of snail that would clean the glass but not overrun the tank.

I got the money to pay for the tank when a movie company paid me to let them shoot scenes from the movie "7 Ups" in my house.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I'm far from an expert but my understanding is that audio and video are recorded as 2 independent things. They're in one file but the encoding is separate. Note that the video might be 60 frames per second but the audio might be 44khz.

My hearing IS bad. I don't hear high frequencies well in one ear. I have the hardest time hearing movie audio even with hearing aids in. Women that speak softly in crowded rooms is another challenge. I've been trying to pay attention to what I can't hear because the hearing aids can be adjusted to compensate. Hopefully my next visit will result in improvements.

For my audio I wanted the master copy to be 100% lossless so that if I had to convert to some other format like MP3 I wouldn't be in a situation of doing WAV->MP3->WAV->OGG and getting a mess. I'm not worried about space. I started with gigabyte drives but now I'm using Terrabyte SSDs. Lots and lots of space.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I really like the map and the GPS, but I will never use the navigation. For one thing, I can't understand the instructions! And I wonder why that interferes with the USB//AUX add-on.

Reply to
micky

I have an embedded CD player but I still have the changer port. It's just a rectangular connector in the back.

Cool.

Reply to
micky