Car radio that will mix sound inputs and play them at the same time?

Is there a car radio that will mix sound inputs and play them at the same time?

AFAICT, both the Mazda 2 that I had and the current Honda Jazz/Fit and maybe any other car I've driven lately only allowed one input to the "radio" at a time.

So if I wanted to play the music on my Flashdrive, I couldn't get notices from Google Maps where to turn, etc. (Since google maps is not in the rental car, or any car I'll buy. It's only on the phone.)

And if I wanted to listen to local radio, via the radio built into the radio, I couldn't get notices from Google Maps where to turn, etc.

If I depend on the phone only, it's nowhere near loud enough to be heard over the music or talk. When I tried this at home, I often don't hear the navigation instructions at all, even though they are set on loud, and if I hear a voice, I certainly can't understand what it said.

The phone can be connected by bluetooth or probably AUX. I presume that won't make any difference.

Is there a car radio that will mix sound inputs and play them at the same time?

Reply to
micky

I don't think that's what you want or you'd have your songs playing at the same time the cell phone map app is speaking. And it most likely doesn't exist for the same reason. What you want is one that would give priority to sound coming from bluetooth from the phone and temporarily use that instead of playing the songs, radio, etc. Don't most do that? I don't fiddle or use that, but cars do have the ability to link to the cellphone so you can take calls. That temporarily cuts off whatever else is playing, as I recall. But whether that works with audio coming from a map app as opposed to a phone call, IDK.

Reply to
trader_4

With my Genesis I can listen to the radio and get notices from Google maps via Android Auto. Never tried it with music from a USB at the same time but don't think I could.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Micky could try this:

Hear voice navigation from your car speakers

You can hear voice navigation from your car speakers using Bluetooth or a USB cable.

Use Bluetooth

Turn on Bluetooth on your phone or tablet. Pair your phone or tablet to your car. Set the source for your car's audio system to Bluetooth. Open the Google Maps app Menu Settings Navigation settings. Next to "Play voice over Bluetooth," turn the switch on.

So you can get the audio from Google Maps to the car via bluetooth, just like with a call. The remaining question is if the car silences whatever else is playing and I think it would. In fact, I'm going to try it myself. If I use the phone for maps, I just leave it on the seat, but I guess this would work better.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes it will. That will mute the music when google maps is saying something and will be load enough to be able to hear it properly.

You actually need to have the music volume reduced when google maps is saying something and I havent noticed any radio that can do that with one of the inputs when mixing two of them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sounds like you contradicted yourself. First you say, yes it will mute music for google maps, then you say it won't. If it mutes, then seems like it will mute whatever the source is for bluetooth. And I've yet to see a radio system where you mix two inputs. Is that so you can have Bohemian Rhapsody playing on top of kangaroo calls?

Reply to
trader_4

Then you need to get those ears tested, BAD.

I actually said that when the music and google maps are RUNNING ON THE PHONE, and the phone is JUST using the radio as speakers using bluetooth, the PHONE will mute the music with a google maps announcement, just like it mutes the music when you answer an incoming phone call.

When the RADIO has music being played from internal storage or a USB stick and also has the auto from something else that google maps is running on, its unlikely to mute the music.

Mindlessly superficial.

But plenty will play music from a USB stick or internal storage and accept bluetooth from a phone or satnav.

<reams of your even sillier shit any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
Reply to
Rod Speed

I think that's beyond me. ;-)

Reply to