Crack in outer brickwork

Crack in outer brickwork open original image
Crack in outer brickwork open original image

We have a crack running down the back of our property and it runs from the bottom right of the window to the top right of the patio doors, it has cracked one brick right down the middle. The crack was there when we moved in 3 years ago and has not noticeably moved.

We recently had a home buyer survey carried out and he was not sure if it was settling or something more serious.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom Orange

First pic is useless, looks like you covered up the crack with a black marker. The answer the home inspector gave you is probably the answer most people will give you. Is there any other evidence of problems in that area? Does it have a basement? If so, any evidence of movements in the blocks? How old is the house? The fact that it hasn't gotten worse in 3 years is good.

At a minimum the crack should be repaired with one of the products made for masonry repair like that. I'd look for the best product, one that will have some flex to it. If you're selling it, I guess it all depends then on what your inspector is putting in his report, assuming you're giving that to the buyer. Or what their inspector says. Typically they just put something in like he already said and then say it should be evaluated by a masonry pro. Which is probably your best bet. I'd get some out, see what they say, find out what they say they would put in the crack, then check out that product, etc...

Reply to
trader_4

The marker just outlined the area; the crack is in RH third/fourth of the image...

Looks like it's sitting on a ledger of first floor? What's actually that white but looks like it's the top of a patio slider door or the like.

If that supposition is correct, it didn't have enough header/masonry support...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes.

Dunno, you wouldn’t normally expect that crack to be just at the top of that block of bricks if that was the case. You'd expect it to be further down, just above the patio door if that’s what is white at the bottom.

Reply to
Rod Speed