another crack question :)

Hi, I've seen a few postings asking about cracked walls recently which started me thinking about my wall. I have a crack that goes from midway under my bedroom window upstairs to the window in the lounge in the same place downstairs.

The wall is concrete blocks outside, rendered with cement. The crack was there 7 years ago when I moved in, When I painted the walls I bodged a repair job on the outside with some cement but it's opened up again. Also there is a hairline crack inside I can't remember how long that's been there though.

I remember seeing that some of the blocks have actually cracked. If I look below the downstairs window, then it's brick and it's not cracked. I think that the crack could be something to do with the lintel over the downstairs window ? I seem to remember the survey said that it was 'normal shrinkage' when I moved in, but it was only a basic survey. There is also a hairline crack on the interior of the adjacent end wall, but nothing on the outside. Time to worry ? Would it be worth covering it up properly if I was going to sell ?

I remember my Dads house had a problem when the drains leaked outside, there was a crack in the plaster about 1/2" wide before he did anything!

Simon

Reply to
SimonP

OK that's leaving it a little late. AIUI it takes about a 5cm crack before the structure might be in danger.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed, I assume you mean 5 mm ? :)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

cm ?

Reply to
raden

Maxie, have you been on the Atkins diet yet?

Reply to
IMM

No I meant contact you insurers etc. at 5mm.

The _structure_ is not in danger till the cracks get to 5cm (but that does depend where the cracks run. After this point joists might fall off wall plates.

A 5cm crack above a traditional mid-victorian masonary arched lintel would probably already have failed.

Reply to
Ed Sirett