How to keep sound on when backing up.

The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to stop that.

If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's ridiculous.

The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019 Honda.

This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once drove didn't do that.

If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car. Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't matter.

Reply to
micky

My car just reduces the sound, not turn it off. You probably have to program the computer to change it, not user options for it. Many cars now restrict the use of radio and navigation while in reverse.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do you drive backwards? What's the amount of time you back up...? 15, 30 seconds tops? You're seriously concerned about something important on the radio you need to stop for 30 seconds of backing up?

I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.

Reply to
Meanie

Do you ever listen to a serious discussion show, or anything other than music? The loss of 20 seconds can distort or cloud everything the person says.

Don't be silly.

Reply to
micky

That would probably be okay.

I found the owners manual. It 's 600 pages!

It's a Honda Jazz, which is supposed to be the same a Fit.

Earlier, I tried to set the time, which was an hour off, an hour, 3 years and one month. I found "Time" but not how to set it. Then connected the phone with bluetooth and the time became correct. Later it was wrong again.

I'm glad I learned about this on a rental car. I will remember to play the radio while test-driving any car I buy in the future. I've only had the car for a week and it's really annoying.

Why not ban the radio when going forward too! People spend a lot more time going forward.

My 2000 Toyota solara convertible wouldn't let me put the top up or down when the car was going more than about 3 mph. But I found the wire from the body computer to the to the top relay and cut it. Same with

2005 Solara. I've had a power top that I could raise or lower when moving for 50 years. But in any car I could buy, I don't think muting the radio will be controlled by a wire I can cut.

According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone backs into a person.

Reply to
micky

hubops

I wouldn't be so quick to do that. These systems interact, check themselves and you might wind up with error msgs or something unexpected. And while maybe they did it to use the sound system, I think it's more likely they don't want noise and distraction to try to reduce backing up into things or people. If you have the radio blaring and Johnny is yelling, STOP, you won't hear it.

Reply to
trader_4

I imagine those 10% are happy about it. Most cars have a terrible view out the back. I love the camera in my car. I have a 10,2" screen and gives the back, of course, but also a surround view. Some cars to have crappy small viewing screens and probably are not that good.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If he doesn't care about accidently raising the Solara convertible top when travelling down the expessway - I doubt that he cares about Johnny's incessant screaming ! ... it's Micky, after all .. :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

I didn't get that at all. It sounded like he purposely disabled the interlock so that they top would go up even with the car moving? I see your point.

Reply to
trader_4

Ed Pawlowski snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx wrote

Specially the ones that have avoided killing their little kids who have been run over like that. I actually know one person who managed to do that.

Yeah, even when just backing an empty trailer that you can't actually see.

Surprisingly few have a completely integrated set of cameras that automatically show you the front and back corner of the car that is closest to something when parking etc.

And which operate as 360 degree dashcams when driving and 360 degree surveillance cameras when parked etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have one and also an Eye Sight system which apparently has front and rear emergency braking. Couple of weeks ago backing up in the Walmart parking lot a woman darted in back of my car and a beep went off and car appeared to slow down. It was disconcerting because my wife just happened to call me at the time and the cell phone Blue Toothed to the car also rang.

Using my separate GPS in the car for the first time, the radio stopped. I don't know how it knew that the GPS was there but I found that the radio had just turned itself way down and I probably could have used it with the GPS on.

Sometimes you can tinker with the cars options to get the behavior that you want.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Not too smart on a rental car.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Mikey is like Trump - he manufactures a crisis on a regular basis.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

LMAO! You're concerned about 20 second segment you "may" miss due to backing up a car which I'm sure isn't often and you call me silly. LMAO! That's funny.

Reply to
Meanie

I would also imagine that if the radio volume was to automatically reduce to below bleeding-ears level when backing up, the driver would most likely be able to hear little Suzie screaming "DADDY, STOP!!!!".

Reply to
Sanity Clause

Yeah spose so.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Part of the Honda Distracted Driver Safety System. Unless you can access the developer menu in the system using a scan tool and dealer code it cannot be turned off.

Reply to
Steve W.

What's silly is thinking that because I want to solve a small problem, I wouldn't want to solve (and be good at solving) big problems. It works the opposite way. People who let themselves be thumped by little problems also get thumped by big ones.

I know darn well that every time I had to go in reverse since I've had this car (7 days) I've missed what the speaker was saying. Five times a day at least, and when exploring back woods and desert roads with dead ends and move civilized places with parking spots more like 15 or 20 times a day. If I owned the car for 5 years, just using 5 times a day, that's 9000 times.

I guess when life gives you problems and inconveniences, you just let life push you around. I don't. I like to make my life better. But you can just suck it up if you want.

Reply to
micky

That's a good point, and if there had been any small children around in the tens of 1000's of times I've backed up over the last decade, for example, it would apply to me. But there haven't been.

Reply to
micky