Car generator to power house

Yes, you are correct here, and Jeff, as an EE understands KW and KWH, however the deceptive wording of the puff story makes it sound like he was getting 17 KWH, and never mentions that he only had a 1 KW inverter. It also makes an incorrect comparison between the "Delco" battery of a normal car and the special battery of the prius, with no concern for the fact that the only 12 volt battery the Prius has, is a gel cell not much bigger than a motorcycle battery, and considerably smaller than the Delco. You can buy into this garbage if you so choose, but some of us live in the world where laws of physics matter

Reply to
RBM

That assumes the inverter was somehow hooked directly to the Prius battery pack. I see no indication that was the case. He only drew

17KWH over several days. I would think that could have been provided by a small conventional inverter connected to the car's 12V subsytem.
Reply to
trader4

That assumes the inverter was somehow hooked directly to the Prius battery pack. I see no indication that was the case. He only drew

17KWH over several days. I would think that could have been provided by a small conventional inverter connected to the car's 12V subsytem.

There are a dozen different stories on it. Reporters from all over were just tripping over each other to write a worship the Prius story. Bottom line, he connected a 1000 watt garden variety inverter to the gel cell 12 volt battery, and let the car auto start to keep it charged. I guess he needed to be a Harvard EE to figure out how to connect the red and black wires to the battery.

Reply to
RBM

What do you drive, a 8mpg, 4wd expedition, Wasting money to drive is not money you keep or enjoy. Do you agree with giving 700 Billion a year to our Arab enemies to move our vehicles. Hybrid is one good alternative, but until the Gov subsides them they are high priced. 700 Billion we could have bought everyone in the world an Iphone, or paid for insurance, fix our infrastructure, or pay for enough solar to make a big difference here.

Reply to
ransley

Why put it down, if you had a Chevy hybrid you would do it, My neighbor had a Escalade Hybrid for testing and it will sell. but I am sure you would do it more carefully. Monitoring the Gen temp and other components with an IR thermometer and having aiflow would have been smart.

Reply to
ransley

Why put it down, if you had a Chevy hybrid you would do it, My neighbor had a Escalade Hybrid for testing and it will sell. but I am sure you would do it more carefully. Monitoring the Gen temp and other components with an IR thermometer and having aiflow would have been smart.

I'm not putting down that car or any other hybrid, only the deceptive ,twisted story, designed to make a guy with no foresight look like a genius, and the least innovative part of the hybrid, (the gel cell), appear to be something miraculous.

I too, live in the northeast. We have snow and ice storms. Sometimes we lose electricity. People who don't want to be without power in those circumstances, like me, own generators designed to power everything we desire during an outage. It's really a no brainer

Reply to
RBM

You are smart getting 35 mpg in stop and go traffic when everyone else is getting about 10. , Demand, resale value, a car with the absolute highest reliabilty in recent studies. What I see is poor folk driving large 4 wd in the city.

Reply to
ransley

you could get the same mileage with a TDI, and a hybrid may be "reliable" but it sure ain't gonna be "durable" once you need new batteries.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

>>> Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect from

Over 200

Reply to
clare

I SUSPECT you are wrong - as theist generation Prius had a 17 KW generator . Second Generation was something like30, and 3rd generation

50 or 55, from what I remember.
Reply to
clare

Agreed. I once had a car that got NINE miles to the gallon! It was a Ford Custom 500 - with a 426 Interceptor engine, 4bbl carb, etc. God, I loved that car.

Rest easy. We don't. We get about 15% of our imported oil from the Arab lands. Most imported oil comes from our Canadian enemies (25%) and a goodly bit from our Mexican enemies (13%). We also get a surprising amount from our Nigerian enemies (10%).

No matter what is done, solar can never make even a tiny difference, let alone a big one.

Had we spent the $700 billion as you suggest, we could talk to everyone on the planet as we pedaled our bikes. That would be nice.

Reply to
HeyBub

Which WOUYLD be absolute lunacy - and the Prius does NOT auto-restart on the 12 volt accessory battery level.

Reply to
clare

Don't think so. Here's the quote:

"Though he couldn't run his entire house one his one car, they were able to get approximately 17 Kilowatt hours of energy. This was enough to power his refrigerator/freezer, television, lights, wood stove fan and accessories for a few days."

If he were getting 17Kw power, he'd have been able to power a heck of a lot more -- I can power more than he could with my 2Kw EU2000i genny.

Plus, as was obvious (AND stated in the article), he was using an inverter. When's the last time you heard of anyone just happening to have a 17Kw inverter lying around the house? ;) 8Kw is considered a VERY high power consumer inverter.

Reply to
Erma1ina

Conversion efficiency?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

And if you read one of the dozen other stories on the guy, you too will discover that he had a 1KW inverter

Reply to
RBM

from

So

A 60 amp service is 13 kw Running a 1 kw inverter off the prius would be pure stupidity. (not saying that's not what he did - he was an electrical engineering professor from an ivy league university, after all.

Reply to
clare

You're finally catching on. He's an idiot, and the whole story is idiotic. IF you piece together the facts, it's a non story created by journalistic wackos for an obvious purpose

Reply to
RBM

He ran it for a few days, it made 17kwh over several days, not at once. A 1000w inverter does not mean it used 1000 watts at one point, a small inverter might have fried or failed to operate at all, but he was smart and oversized. He made 8500 watts a day total average or only 354 watts an hour. 354 watts hr avg, Take high and low beam headlights, all your average side and back lights on my car and its about 350 Watts, I have 2 sets of extra Piaa lights, throw in a 20 watt heater blower and 20 watt stereo and I am all the time on counrty roads pulling 600++ watts on a 17 yr old smaller car original small alternator, not a high output unit. He used only 5 gallons gas over 48 hours, that alone proves his load was very low and not all the time. My gen at idle might use 10 gallons in 48 hrs idling at 3600 rpm. Or what am I missing.

Reply to
ransley

He ran it for a few days, it made 17kwh over several days, not at once. A 1000w inverter does not mean it used 1000 watts at one point, a small inverter might have fried or failed to operate at all, but he was smart and oversized. He made 8500 watts a day total average or only 354 watts an hour. 354 watts hr avg, Take high and low beam headlights, all your average side and back lights on my car and its about 350 Watts, I have 2 sets of extra Piaa lights, throw in a 20 watt heater blower and 20 watt stereo and I am all the time on counrty roads pulling 600++ watts on a 17 yr old smaller car original small alternator, not a high output unit. He used only 5 gallons gas over 48 hours, that alone proves his load was very low and not all the time. My gen at idle might use 10 gallons in 48 hrs idling at 3600 rpm. Or what am I missing.

Ransley, you're not missing anything. Neither he, nor the Prius, did anything special. It was a totally NON story fabricated by a bunch of reporter environmentalist wackos, desperate to try to put wings on the Prius and demonize the neighbor's Tahoe. To be clear, I have nothing against the Prius, the Tahoe, or any "practical environmentalist", just the wackos

Reply to
RBM

He probably was a Harvard EE. If he was an MIT EE he would have figured out that this doesn't make much sense and not have bothered.

Reply to
trader4