Remove possible mildew

Our kitchen sink pipes broke. The pipes are fixable; however, I have no idea what's happening between the bottom of the sink and the floor. I'm not a carpenter and would prefer not to hire someone to remove the sink floor for $$ sake. Is there something I can spray/pipe between the cracks into the under the sink and floor? Is there some anti mildew foam or spray with a long plastick hose to fit in hard to reach areas that could be used?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
wipeout64

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news:e07c8792- snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

I don't even consider myself "informed" on the subject but things should naturally dry out as long as all leaks have been repaired. I believe it takes continued humidity/moisture for mold and mildew to form.

Reply to
Red Green

Where you located? Current relative humidity?

Put a fan to work on the area...it will dry out in a couple days.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

The usual spray is diluted laundry bleach. Frankly I doubt if you have any mold problem due to a leak, unless that leak lasted over

24 hours. However I am not there and even if I was, I am not trained in that area. If you really do have a mold problem, then you would be better off having a good professional handle it. That said, not all professionals are good and some try to sell a lot more than needed.

I was helping a friend once when the "professionals" were using an air mold test to prove that they were needed. I insisted that they go out the door and into the yard and do the same test. Results were the same as inside. The home was near a river so mold was always in the air. Needless to say they did not get the job, which was really needed.

You may want to check your home insurance. It may cover it.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

If the water was there 24 or less and it is now dry give it a light spray of 50 50 water bleach and forget it . To slignospam I once had a person tell me that plumbing was easy for every one knows sh** flows downhill so I asked him why his brains wern't on the floor then .

Reply to
jim

Bleach kills mold, unless you see it growing dont worry. Mold is everywhere but wont grow in a few days of moisture.

Reply to
ransley

wrote

Like the others said, if it was a short leak now fixed, relax.

Yes, a 50/50 bleach and water. Dont go crazy with it, but if it's dry down there already, a little on top will be just a preventive.

You dont want to pump much in there at all. Literally at most, about 1/8 cup of the mix for most sink sized areas and even that is a fairly heavy application.

Unless you have a special family health issue that makes mold a severe problem (AIDS family or friends who visit, those with serious respiratory ailments with also imunodeficiency problems etc) then just be at ease. A short leak fixed quickly before the wood rotted out, is not apt to be a mold issue.

Reply to
cshenk

The most important thing is to eliminate any water leakage. Mold won't grow without water/moisture. Bleach will kill active mold, but mold will certainly return if there is water.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks for everyone's input. The leak was there over 24 hrs because we didn't notice it right away. We are keeping the doors of the cabinet wide open with all bottles/cans removed so it can dry out completely. I was just concerned about what we can't see under the floor. I suppose letting it dry out is good enough come to think of it because the only other mildew problem is in the bathroom where there is always water. Thanks all

Reply to
wipeout64