Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

I agree with you that the HF quality isn't always the best, but, it's "good enough" for some jobs, where, I can tell you that the tire-changing tools are OK for the number of tires we will be doing in our lifetimes.

I would gladly buy a wrench set for the emergency kit of my car from HF, but I wouldn't use it as my primary set of wrenches (almost all of which are Craftsman, which is middle-of-the-line stuff, IMHO).

The thing I have to stress about the HF tire mounter is that you can only use the bead breaker attachment on easy tires such as a Japanese import economy car, where it works ok on my European sport sedan, but it fails miserably (it literally bends) on the SUV tires.

The other thing I stress about the HF mounter is that you must bolt it down. You can get away with not bolting it down, but it's just not worth the trouble that causes, compared to the slight issue of drilling four bolt holes and popping in the inserts. I just leave mine in but you can unbolt it in a couple of minutes if you want to store it collapsed.

As for the bed breaking tool, it too has a slight problem with SUV tires, but all tires smaller are no contest. The SUV tires are too big for the base, so they flip up, which in one of the videos you see a guy not realizing that. The solution is simple, which is to put a board on the base, which prevents the wheel from popping up on the side opposite where you're trying to break the bead. With that simple addition, it works fine for SUV tires.

I have no complaints with the static balance tool. I think it's a bit pricey for what it is (it's just a cone-shaped bubble balance) but it's all aluminum and it stores easily and certainly is easy to use so it does the job.

Reply to
ultred ragnusen

A good one comes with a calibration report.

These are "precision instruments" Mabee a Horrible Fright one may not be calibrated, but a Snap-On or Craftsman or other "brand name" or "proffessional" one will be.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thank god we don't have the killings other countries seem to suffer.

Reply to
Fredxx

You are working on it.

Try a little more diversity and you'll make the grade.

Reply to
rbowman

We are getting there. The new weapon of choice seems to be throwing acid.

Those carrying out attacks can be charged with Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) with intent which carries a maximum life sentence.

The best way to avoid these attacks in the UK is don't get involved with domestic violence and don't attend any nightclub where there only claim to fame is that they are frequented by Z list celebrities.

Reply to
alan_m

Speaking of ingenuity, check out this redneck rear rotor surfacing technique at home, with a grinder and while the rotors are spinning.

I guess it works for driven wheels only though.

I guess this is how rednecks do the non-driven wheels.

ultred ragnusen

Judging by those videos you don't need to ban guns in the USA - just ban power tools!

Reply to
alan_m

That's the problem with the internet - the blind leading the blind!

Reply to
Xeno

Power tools are extremely useful, I use them a lot.

Just *ban idiots* from using power tools.

Reply to
Xeno

Or even ban Americans !!!

Reply to
Graham J

so you are still on about tyres and nuts, jesus who do you work for ? kwikfit !!!!

Reply to
critcher

are you all dickheads ?????

Reply to
critcher

Last time I was in the States, over a dozen years ago even, I was *so* disappointed not to see any of the great classic gas-guzzlers on the roads. Everyone seemed to be driving small Jap cars and it's probably even worse today with these stupid little Prius things that douchebags like Brian Griffin drives.

Reply to
Chris

You still see them on the road on sunny summer weekends and evenings when the rich boys get to play with their toys.

Can't afford to drive them as daily drivers and risk damaging them. I was also dissapointed when traveling in Europe 10 or 15 years ago to not see a single Mk1 Mini, early Beetle - or even VW1500 Variants, or Bay window busses - no R4 or even R5 Renaults. No 128 Fiats, no A35s. No Devons or Cambridges. No R12 or R16s. No Peugot 404, 304, etc. I saw ONE 204 wagon rusting away in a side-yard on Madiera and a Robin somewhere in the Canary Islands.

The only thing over 20 years old in NMorrocco were the ancient French trucks

You want to see old American Iron in daily use go to Cuba.

That beautifull 55 Chevy may very well have a 1.5 liter Lada diesel in it - or an old Mercedes but it still LOOKS like American Iron.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Er, it's YOU that lost. We are leaving the EU, don't you watch the news at all?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

He's got you there, Dave! ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Forgot you'd not be keeping up. I was referring to Fred making such a hash of using 'Newtonian Mechanics' to try and support a flawed argument.

But then most will lose with Brexit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've proven on numerous occasions you don't have a clue on Newtonian mechanics.

Do you want me to refresh your memory with Peter's simple problem put to you, that you weren't able to answer and squirmed your way forward with excuses of your own inadequacies?

I'm doing very well, thanks. The only pay increase I've had for 10 years and more work than I can handle.

You don't work, do you?

And you own your own house near London that is likely to depreciate if the housing demand reduces (or at least not accrue so much in value in the coming years).

Reply to
Fredxx

Thought it wouldn't be long before you tried to bring this up again.

You tried every trick in the book in an attempt to prove my original statement about BHP versus torque in a road going car was incorrect and failed dismally. Despite introducing every single red herring you could find.

And got all upset when I refused to answer all the silly questions you kept coming up with.

So basically, a poor looser.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There was no trick, just a simple multiple choice problem put to you by Peter Hill.

No refusal, you simply didn't have a clue. It was one problem, there were no "silly questions".

Reply to
Fredxx