Can dials on an old GE range be turned either way?

We have a houseguest this Christmas, unfortunately.

This person insists on turning the dials on our old (late 70s) GE electric range the wrong way to set the temperature. In other words, instead of going from off to low to medium to medium high to high, just turn the knob from off straight to high, and from high back to off.

The knobs DO turn freely 360 degrees and offer no resistance to being turned this way.

But something just makes me think this is wrong and will damage either the knob or part of the electronics.

Is twisting the knob the wrong way - going directly between off and high without twisting past the lower temperatures - in any way damaging to anything other than my blood pressure?

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

if it turns freely, no.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

This shouldn't be a problem at all.

Reply to
Noozer

You have serious control issues, and I'm not talking about the controls on the stove. I have them too and they are damn hard to supress, but for everyone's sake we must try to get over micromanaging peple.

It is perfectly OK to operate the stove this way.

Reply to
John Harlow

It won't do a thing, don't worry about it.

Reply to
mbrooks

If the manufacturer of the range didn't intend for the knobs to turn that way, they would have made them so that they couldn't be turned that way.

Reply to
Tocapet

You're lucky. My houseguest insisted on reversing the toilet tissue.

I removed the spindle.

Reply to
JerryMouse

either

Hi,

Won't hurt anything in the surface switch! :)

Can't help you with that ;) jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

How do you know that YOUR way is the right way?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Why on earth would you even let a visitor cook - proper host/hostess's should be doing all the cooking/catering/waiting/washing/etc kitchen duties. Be a good Host & Make some 'Off limits to guests' signs .

Magnets are handy to hold the grocery store receipt to the fridge.

Reply to
bumtracks