Best Screendoor Material?

It is time to replace the screen on my front screendoor. The shop that I discussed this with looked at photos of it, and immediately told me it was made of aluminum screen, and asked if I really wanted to replace it with aluminum screen. I asked what else is available, and why is it better. The clerk said that today most people get "plastic screen" installed, and that it is actually made of fiberglass, and lasts longer and doesn't puncture so easily. My screendoor was built and installed (custom size) about 25 years ago, so it seems reasonable to me that there may be better replacement materials available today.

My question: What are the usual alternatives considered today for the screen material in screen doors, and what are the pros and cons of each? (In case it makes a difference in the alternative you suggest, this door is sheltered by a second floor, and the house is located near the beach in the greater Los Angeles area, with a normal annual temp range of

40-100 degrees F, fog many nights a year, and an occasional sprinkle of rain.

Many thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

I didn't know you could even get aluminum screen any more! There are at least 2 grades of fiberglass screen. Having a dog with sharp claws, the heavier grade stuff works fine. Just lay the door down on a flat surface, get the right size of rubber cord to use, and the roller tool. You need a sharp knife as well. Maybe 15 minutes, top. Local screen places will even do the job for essentially time and materials, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Reply to
professorpaul

Fibergalss/plastic should be perfectly adequate. If you have a rowdy pet, there is even a heavy duty plastic that tends to resist damage better than the standard material. No matter the choice, any of them will do a good job for you.HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Hi, Heavier fiberglass screen is really heavy enough for dogs or birds. Rubber cord is commonly called spline and if you have a tool for it, it is lot easier to work with.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Well, I have to disagree with the other posters. My fiberglass screens seemed to become slack and brittle from sun exposure after maybe a decade. It was also easily torn or punctured. I replaced them with black-painted aluminum screening which in my opinion is stronger, more durable, and looks better. It is probably a little harder to install. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff