Best line of the night

"HeyBub" wrote in news:GsydncLXwsyKDr_SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Yes, the colony was established by people fleeing religious persecution in England, and established a most similar religiously persecuting community in the new colony. Has been often held up for ridicule. Wasn't Rhode Island established by religious refugees from Mass.?

The fact that something is or was established by (civil or religious) law, doesn't make it righteous! (which is of course only in the eye of the beholder)

Reply to
Han

Funny how allegedly "learning about diarrhea of the mouth or the pen" made you blind to your own. Have you read anything he has written ? Or are you relying on ignorant bigotry and other questionable source for your "opinion" ?

Feel free to cite those alleged ethics violations Not to mention what makes him a "lier"(sic)

Take as many screens as you need

(In reality, what you are now doing as just hand waving"

Another "onion"

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

LOL Obviously, it's not what he leaned that's important What a maroon.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

IIRC the timeline correctly (and I am fairly sure I do, but don't care enough to double check), the ethics violation was taken care of a couple of years before he left. His resignation coincided with a MUCH greater sin, he was in charge when the GOP lost control of the House.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I was talking more about specific functions. For instance if the students vote to include a prayer at graduation ceremonies, which is forbidden. In many instances, they have said a person couldn't use even a biblical reference in their validictory speech.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

you seem to be under the impression that you deserve special treatment or that in fact the law offers you freedom of choice...you don't and it doesn't

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

well maybe we can come up with a win-win scenario with this logic. Since the KCfPA is a for profit institution and you had to pay admission to demonstrate your sartorial excellence, let people proselytize in public schools all they want as long as they pay a sufficiently high fee for the privilege. That money could be used to build schools where the students would be proselytizing free

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

as far as I'm concerned, the discussion has evolved into a discussion of whether there should be school/class wide prayer

with that view you must consider that while the contemporary community may have a majority of xians, I doubt that it has a majority of practicing/observant xians and therefore they fall outside of the contemporary community standards. As far as obscenity being outside of the contemporary community standards, where the heck do you live?

prayer in school is not about god, it is about religion. you can't proselytize what you think is the contemporary community of xians...they have already made the choice.

irreligious = anti-religious non-religious = doesn't practice religion

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

well said

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

if you believe in christ you are a xian. you may not like how the Mexican Catholics, Southern Baptists or Mormons approach their worship, but they are all praying to the same god

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

but there is a whole passle of repubs that aren't

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:JfqdneHfqcnAML_SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Thanks for correcting the timeline. What I read now about Newt's sermons to the crowds doesn't make me think he won't be able to keep their attention but for a few months/moments. Too bad the GOP can't field real electable candidates.

Reply to
Han

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in news:jfua8a$sk3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

So you counter me when I'm calling your demagoguery with calling me a deagogue? How refreshing. Tell me, since it is your turn, why Gingrich was drummed out of the house? And since you know his writings, what were the things he said that make him a historian for Freddie and Fannie?

Reply to
Han

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This reminds me of a true story in the Netherlands. Guy was rather orthodox protestant, not anywhere near Anglican. Met a Catholic girl. Converted, and became so Catholic that his wife divorced him ...

Reply to
Han

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:JfqdneDfqcm6M7_SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

OK, as an agnostic, and father of an equally agnostic valedictorian at a public high school, I would say the following: A prayer at graduation is a no-no for me. But, words with a similar meaning without references to God or religion should be easy to find. You come up with the prayer, and I'll "translate", OK? A biblical reference, similarly, I think. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew ...

Reply to
Han

Sure, will do, if I find out anything.

.

While you search, find out if these are Baptists living in the South or members of the Southern Baptists Convention.

Let me know, please.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They may have kicked him out, but it wasn't over (partisan) ethics violations. Of the fifty-odd instances of alleged ethics violations, he was adjudged not guilty on every one. The transcripts, all 1,600 pages, of the ethics committee's hearings are online. Check for yourself.

You may be correct in asserting he has less of a chance of beating Obama than Governor Romney. But 80-20, while less of a chance than 90-10, is still sufficient to win.

In my view, Republicans should quit fixating on who has the best chance of beating Obama and look at secondary attributes, like what kind of car they drive or whether they like malted milkshakes.

Reply to
HeyBub

You can cite me as an authoratitive source. I HAVE heard it from a member of the Foreign Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. He was a missionary to Mexico. He asserted that "Catholics" in Mexico are really pagan Aztecs wrapped in some symbology of the Church.

Reply to
HeyBub

You can expand "Righteous Conduct" to include charity, justice, good works, loving kindness, and any number of otherwise positive actions.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:T6qdnaJiaqyCwL7SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Wikipedia: "He was disciplined in January 1997 by the House of Representatives for an ethics violation. Following a poor Republican showing in the 1998 Congressional election, Gingrich announced his resignation (taking effect on January 3, 1999) from the House on November

5, 1998, under pressure from his Republican colleagues."

The poll I saw was that both newt and Mitt would lose to Obama, with newt doing worst.

Perhaps ...

Reply to
Han