Something started beeping yesterday. Spaced a minute or so apart. First I
thought it was a radio malfunctioning. but after turning things on and off
it wasn't. Nothing else plugged in and turned on in the room. Finally after
about a half hour discovered it was the smoke alarm low battery warning. No
spare 9V batteries, have to buy a few today.
You know it's time to clean the refrigerator
when something closes the door from the inside.
You should not wait until the alarm to change them.
Normally, alkalines will last a few years. (Lithium several years.) But,
if you have a fire, a battery on its last useful year will only sound
the alarm for a fraction of the time that a fresh one could.
This could kill you. Don't be cheap with safety equipment. Even if you
think your life is worthless, maybe someone else wants you alive.
A few weeks before Halloween is a good time to change all your smoke &
CO detector batteries. You can use the partly used batteries as power
sources for Jack-o-Lanterns.
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 10:14:44 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
rd one politician say how
ailed after just a few months.
First, smoke detectors should be recycled, not put in the trash.
Second, you probably could have had it replaced under warranty. Your situat
ion is not common
and odds are you would have received a longer lasting unit.
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 9:14:44 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
When Ray-O-Vac came out with a 5 (7?) yr lithium, I gave it a try in a smoke detector...it started beeping in less than 2 weeks! I have never had any faith in R-o-V crap, even before that...but I thought, what the hell! Never again.
Fifteen or 20 years mine did that at 3 am and I just could not go back
to sleep..so I changed the battery, hopped back in bed only to hear beep
again...so changed the battery in my 2nd detector , went back to bed
and doggone it...the beep was still there.
Turned out it was my pager damn it!
That is part of the problem today. Other things beep.
My smoke detectors and CO detector were old and in same hallway upstairs
and downstairs it took a while to find the one beeping.
I replaced all with new with long life batteries and have had no
problems like others here.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.