Bathtub Surround/Tile question

The people before us had painted the tile above the tub, which from what I've read, is predictably coming off now. So I was looking to put in a surround faux tile. One problem I've encountered is our current tile comes in past the tub for 2", and then has a curved tile that goes into the wall, which then has another 4" before it corners. I hope that's understandable. Is it okay to attach photos in this group?

But the surround I've found at HD doesn't have corner pieces. One thought was to put in a piece of drywall on that 4" wall piece, bringing it flush to the level of the tub wall tile, and simply extend the surround (we're actually looking at pieces of laminate-type faux tile, that you cut to fit) out over that 2" corner tile and 4" drywall. Not sure how that will look, though, just having the surround finish flat on the corner like that. Though the pictures in the brochure of the surrounds look like that's all they do, too. Any thoughts?

Now, other thought is to re-paint the current tile. I came across a website that sells DIY kits, and says it has a bond that allows the paint to last. How do I get the current paint off my old tile, though? It's peeling in places, but not everywhere. And how do you deal with grout, then? Am I right that you want the grout line a different color? Again, any thoughts or help on all this would be greatly appreciated. And, in answer to one reply I'm anticipating, I'm just scared as hell of trying to put up new tile, mainly because of having to grout those lines. Thanks again.

Use a "safe" paint stripper to get the paint off. since its in the shower, clean the walls well with water and brush as clean as you can. Lightly sand the tile surface to give the new paint more to bite into and remove any imperfections or remaining paint. Patch any badly chipped out grout.

Now paint with a 2 part epoxy paint (Quart kits in hardware stores, you may need 2) follow the directions and you should be OK. (especially the tips on application of the paint). Paint right over the grout and everything. Spraying is best finish but with 2 part epoxy, cleanup has to be immediate or the sprayer will be trash after one use.

Grouting new tile is pretty easy; slop it on, rub it in, wipe it off. What's hard is regrouting since you often have to remove the old without damaging the tile. Grout can match or contrast the tile, it's simply another design choice. What do you like.

If you want to post a picture, you need to put it on a website and post a link. Use webspace with one of your emails or a photo site.

Reply to
pipedown

Thanks for all the great answers. The photo was to try to depict the extra tile outside of the tub. Don't think it will be necessary now. I think we'll try repainting; we're merely getting it ready to sell. Don't want to pawn off my problem on someone else, but I'm not misrepresenting it; they should be able to tell that it's painted. I hadn't worked with grout lines that small before; if I re-did it, though, I guess I'd use larger tile and grout lines, so indeed, wouldn't be too hard. The cutting and laying were be more work, I guess. But, for this purpose, if painting works, I'll try that. Now I have to try to get the sloppy caulk job I did cleaned up. I was just temporarily patching it; thinking that I'd be pulling it I wasn't neat about it. Thanks again for the help.