bathtub applique removal

Hi, my Daughter just purchased a condo with a fiberglass tub/shower. There are those flower petal appliques on the bottom that were all the rage years ago, and now they look like crap. Are there any solvents or 'magic' methods to get them out? Thanks! Chas

Reply to
Chas12

Fiberglas can be damaged by any number of solvents so test anything on a small area first. I would start by peeling and scraping (with a plastic scraper) off as much as possible then try a gentile adhesive solvent like "goo-gone" first. Something with Xylene in it next (tends to soften rubber and adhesives)

Depending on the shape of the tub bottom you may have some luck scraping with a razor blade but it is real easy to scratch like that but if the surface is convex, it may be possible.

If you end up scratching the surface, you can usually buff out small scratches or gel coat the whole tub for a new finish. Yahoogle on fiberglas repair if it comes to that.

Reply to
PipeDown

I believe lighter fluid will work without damage. But you could try a hairdrier (CAREFUL!!!) to soften the glue.

Reply to
Stubby

WD-40

Reply to
Craven Morehead

De Solve It works great, and if you have a Rite Aid near you, they carry it. Costco used to carry it, but not sure about that anymore.

Cor> WD-40

Reply to
Corinne