Bathtub Material

Cast iron, fiberglass or plastic (acrylic) ... any experiences ... good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Pointer

Cast iron is most durable. I have a Kohler fiberglass tub/shower that has given many years (maybe 10 or so) of service and still looks near new. Can't comment on acrylics, but they do look rather nice in the showrooms.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Acrylic is great IFF you make sure you're getting the good stuff and a good thickness for it. There are acrylics that are almost paper thin and don't look good after a bit of use.

Cast iron is toughest, but nicks and scratches easily. Chips pretty easy if you have kids around and pieces are SHARP!

Fiberglass; had fg in Chgo for 15 years; OK, touch, lost its color quickly, lost sheen, & bottom could be felt moving under your feet. Overall I guess I'd go for another Acrylic if I had to. Love the one we've got and its shine is lasting forever t seems. The pan is 1/2" thick and no noticeable movement. Came in 3 pieces; went together easy, no leaks, plenty of overlaps on the pieces plus caulked with pure silicone caulk. Oh; forgot: this is a shower. The tub is steel.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne