bathroom faucet - possibly missing parts

I installed a bathroom faucet for a friend that someone gave to them. I'm worried that it may have some parts missing. It has separate handles for the hot and cold water and the only union between them and the spout is under the sink. When you push the unit up from under the sink the only thing keeping it from falling are the two handles which are secured by turning a single allen head screw on each (the spout is secured to the counter with a square washer and a brass nut, but it just slides over a tube with an o-ring). That doesn't seem very safe to me. Could there be any parts missing?

Also, are those flexible, braided metal hoses allowed in apartment buildings? The old faucet was connected with bendable copper tubing.

Thanks,

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Go to the Mfr's web site. You can probably find an install sheet or parts breakdown. If you don't know the name, it would be anybody's guess what parts are needed; every faucet co. is different.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Used faucet set? No accompanying documentation or parts breakdown? The whole deal sounds really dubious. Before you invest any more time or effort in this system get more info. Find out what brand it is, contact customer service at the company, then decide the best course of action. Unless there is some very compelling reason to proceed, a new faucet set may be your lowest cost option.

A better choice for the amateur plumber, but check your building codes. All it usually takes is a brief visit or a phone call. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Thanks Jim. It's a Delta. I just looked at their website. It appears to be from the 4530/4577 Series.

PDF file
It seems to me that the unit would be much more secure if the handle bases were screwed down instead of just slipping over everything, but I guess they didn't feel that was necessary. I also think it's weird that the spout is mounted eccentrically over the water tube so that if you rotate it the base moves slightly across the counter top.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Thanks Joe. From the diagram for the faucet (I posted a link to it in my reply to Jim's post) it doesn't appear that anything is missing. The faucet was given to my friend when a friend of hers replaced it during remodeling. I don't think it's more than 5 years old.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

I looked at the PDF. Locknuts RP26149 should hold the spout and the faucet (controls) rigidly to the counter; shouldn't be possible to rotate at all. Sounds like something may be missing. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

> go2.x=15&go2.y=11

I have that and the other parts in the picture. The part you mention is an ugly plastic nut that I assume goes under the counter. (It is too large fit under any of the brass parts on the top.) The nut keeps the unit from being pulled up, but the only thing that keeps it from falling are the two handles.

The spout nut is brass (RP6087). I couldn't tighten it very much because the wall, the basin and the two stems block wrench access. I guess now that it is in position I could remove the under assembly, tighten the spout (hopefully without moving it) and then reinsert the assembly.

Thanks again for all the help,

--Art

Reply to
Art M