Basement foundation crack - pictures

I just noticed a crack in our basement foundation. It runs from the top to the bottom (9ft). If you go on the outside of the house, you see it has went all the way through. In addition, there is a bulge in the foundation about 12 feet away from this crack that is visible from outside. This bulge was there when we had the house built and the builder had someone come out and check it out and said it was okay as did our inspector. Pictures are here -

While you can't see in the pictures, the wall is still flush and is not sticking out on one side of the crack or the other.

The house is 3.5 years old. I called our builder today and they said if it isn't structual the warranty will not cover it. They are sending out a company to look at it to determine if they think it is structual and if not how much it will cost to get it fixed.

I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before they come out so I know what to expect and what questions to ask. I'd love to hear some of the expertise here, what you think about this particular case, etc.

Reply to
Joe Wilson

Interesting you posted this tonight -- I've been thinking about the same type thing on my house. Our place is different. We have a horizontal crack along the back (below-grade) basement wall. It's just about 2" in from where it should be, measured at it's worst point.

There's an interior block wall in the basement, took me a long time to figure out that that's someones idea of a fix. The perpendicular block wall is butressing the cracked block wall. The probably-not-so-honest guy we bought from re-pointed the crack, and it hasn't re-cracked, so it looks like this all happened when he had an in-ground pool (since removed) installed *way* too close to the house.

Seems like it isn't moving, but I'm still pretty upset about it.

I'll be watching this thread closely, thanks for starting it.

Reply to
The Gnerd

"Joe Wilson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Engage an independent strucutral engineer to review the crack and the foundation. Dont't let the company that the builder sends out be the final word. As they are paid by the builder, there is a pre-disposition to satisfying their customer.

Only an onsite inspection of the property can determine if it is structural. Even if the crack turns out not to be strucutiral, the feeyou pay for your own engineering report is well worth the piece of mind you will get.

Reply to
whocares

Well, someone came out today...during the week I inspected the whole basement for cracks and found a total of 5 that run vertically from top to bottom (all thinner than the one I linked with pictures).

They said that it would cost $230 per crack to fix with a lifetime warranty. So, my question is (and I will get a couple of other bids)...

Does that price sound reasonable?

If I'm not finishing my basement any time soon should I even worry about it?

My house is only 3.5 years old...is it "normal" to have that many cracks in the basement foundation walls?

Reply to
Joe Wilson

Who came out.....Avon lady? Civil engineer? :o)

You haven't said what the wall is constructed of? If a basement wall isn't "structural", I wonder what the heck it is????? Have you tried to get an independent engineer in to take a look? What's it cost?

I would, but I'm a worrier. Hubby says I look for trouble. I don't. I'm just good at finding it :o)

Reply to
NorMinn

Considering the age of the house, do you have any warranty? Even if you do not, perhaps the builder will work with you as a matter of keeping his reputation intact. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You have to wonder why you have so many cracks in your basement. Is the foundation level? Is the concrete mixture adequate for the application? Has the concrete been properly cured?

Seems like shoddy construction to me.

Reply to
Bruno The Magnificent

Yes, there is a 1 year warranty that covers "cosmetic" problems...and a 10 year warranty that covers structual. The builder claims that multiple vertical cracks in the foundation is cosmetic.

Reply to
Joe Wilson

I believe I see a water stain around at least one crack. That should be fixed and monitored carefully. Water in the basement is not good. How are they "fixing" the cracks and what are they warrantying?

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

There is a new system i just saw on TV called Concrete Stitching. It may be just what you need! Maybe someone has some more info on it. I can't rememeber what it was called.

Reply to
Randd01

I didn't get into specifics with the first company that came to give me an estimate. The builder sent them and to be honest he was kind of an ass...I'd rather do business with someone else so I didn't ask a lot of questions. I have a couple of other folks coming out next week to do estimates so I'll get more information then.

Do you have any thing you'd recommend asking them?

Reply to
Joe Wilson