Crack in Foundation

I have a vertical crack in the poured concrete foundation of my house that runs from the top of the wall to the floor. The house is less than 2 years old. My builder came back and chiseled out the crack from the inside and then patched with hydraulic cement.The crack still occasionally leaks water. The builder now wants to chisel away the hydraulic cement patch and have the crack filled with some kind of epoxy filler.( Which he should have done to begin with ) Should the hydraulic cement patch be disturbed at this point? I'm worried about creating a worse problem than I have now. I would rather have the crack fixed from the outside but I'm sure he doesn't want to dig up the yard. Any suggestions?

Tillio

Reply to
Tillio

It should be fixed from both sides. But why is it settling and has it stopped are questions you must look into, you should document and record your comunications with the builder for the future. In case it becomes a legal issue. Your building inspector would be the person to talk to, as he is familiar with the builder and your house.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Assuming the crack is stable, it should be fixed from the OUTSIDE. Whatever is done from the inside is temporary at best. If the crack is not stable, there is no fix.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I am in the facilities management business.

We injected this one

on 2 different vertical cracks on 12" thick CIP concrete walls on earth birmed walls over 15 feet. There had been long term leaks. They no longer leak and that was almost 10 years ago.

This is not a DIY project. We had had (?) waterproofing work performed by a waterproofing contractor on a prior occasion on a different building, and he was kind enough to show and tell for future usage.

As Joseph said, this will be much less effective on a joint or crack that is moving, although a waterproofing contractor can literally glue the concrete back together with proper preparation and cleaning with epoxy injection. This would require expertise and some equipment. Joseph is also correct that the best cure is from the outside, but our "experiment" with Mountain Grout was cost effective compared to excavation and exterior treatment.

Reply to
Dan G

The hydraulic cement should be completely chisled out and epoxy injected, NOT painted or used as coating. If done properly, by a knowledgable, experienced installer, epoxy injection is an appropriate repair that will eliminate the need for exterior excavation. The reason is that the epoxy, when properly injected, will fill the crack from the inside out. This can only be done on poured concrete foundations.

Obviously if your builder thought that that hydraulic cement was an appropraite repair, he is not knowledgable and should not be allowed to perform epoxy injection. It should be noted the all the epoxy will do is fill the crack and prevent further water seepage. It will do nothing to prevent future cracking and is not a solution to settlement or structural problems.

"Tillio" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
whocares

I'll look into fixing it with that epoxy. I've heard good things about it.

Thanks

Reply to
Tillio

Cracks should be fixed from the outside.. Or water will continue tio deteriorate them. And they will reapear .

Reply to
mark Ransley

Epoxy injection will provide a seal on the outside in the immediate area of the crack. A good applicator will inject enough epoxy that it will flow completely through the crack to the exterior.

Water in and of itelf does not cause cracks in poured concrete foundations. Cracks are the cause of poor foundation installation, settling, or structural issues. Water deterioration does not manifest itself as cracks. Cracks will reappear in pured concrete only if there is a settlnig or structural cause, not merely the presence of water.

For poured concerete foundation. Epoxy injection is widely accepted and proven method. If you have any doubts, check with the AIA or consult an engineer experienced with foundations and masonry.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote in news:5632-3F59105B-24 @storefull-2171.public.lawson.webtv.net:

Reply to
whocares