cleaning refrigerator condenser coils

I figured out a decent way to clean the condenser coils on my KitchenAide refrigerator (refrigerators are one of the biggest users of electricity in the house, and dust covered condenser coils drastically reduce the efficiency of the refrigerator).

The coils on this particular refrigerator are on the underside of the refrigerator with only a narrow slot in at the front to access them. My canister vacuum cleaner attachment is too broad to fit well.

So, I used my air compressor and air nozzle on the left side opening to "blast" the dust off the coils while running the vacuum cleaner with an open end on the pipe at the same time on the right side opening.

The air compressor cleaned the coils beautifully while the vacuum cleaner running at the same time sucked in almost all of the dust blown off by the compressor. Without the vacuum running concurrently, the kitchen would have been a cloud of dust and dirt.

I should have thought of this years ago....

Reply to
old dirtbeard

I have a customer that uses their electric leaf blower.

She does it 2X a year and you can eat off her floors. It's the first step in her twice a year house scrubbing. Her husband moves out for the week.

Reply to
HeatMan

Some vacuum cleaner companies make a long, narrow nozzle for just this. I know some guys used to use freon to blast them out.

I thought of this double ended vacuum cleaner bit a couple years ago when I was cleaning out a low mass natural gas boiler. Shortly after that I found another hose for my shopvac, and havn't cleaned a boiler since then.

Did the air and vac trick one time last year, much the same. Except that the condensor was on top.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chris..

You are an idiot..

Just so you know....in case no ones told you what a hack you are this week...

Reply to
CBHvac