bargaining

I am soon to begin buying fixtures, appliances, and all the other things needed as we near the end of new home construction. I hear all the time from people how they bargain at Home Depot and other suppliers, but I have to admit, I possess little skill in this area.

How about some tips on negotiting discounted prices from some of you that know how to do it.

Keith

Reply to
Hobbs Family

I'll tell you my secret, I live within 10 min of both Lowes and HD, I go there regularly keeping a keen eye on the asiles and carts that are stashed around the store. Especially on weekends at Lowes, I have found great prices (I got PF faucet retail 183.00, I paid 18.50) I got a 6 ft counter top for

10.00. Many times I have been able to do this. What you are looking for is, returns, special order returns, they in particular are the best deals, the store can't send them back and have to get rid of them, Right now at the store there is a SO bathroom vanity and sink, very expensive retail @ 483.00 vanity and 320.00 for the sink the whole thing is selling for 250.00, I bet that it will be even lower by tonight! Shopping is the key! I don't mean having to go all over town I just go to those two stores every other day, takes about ten min to cruise the store. I got three R 30 bags of insulation that because they were ripped (bags) I got them for 10 bucks ea. Look for things that have flaws or damaged boxes. I paid 14.00 for a 62.00 metal lockig cabinet just because the box the damaged.

Good luck

Searcher OH, I got an Ingersol Rand air compressor for 40.00 because there was a faulty weld at the outlet, quick tap with my welder and I got a 800.00 AC for 40 buck!!!

Reply to
Shopdog

I can second that. I just got a nice Hitachi vertical bandsaw for $83.58, a floor model reduced by 20%, then 10% more when I noticed the stand was missing a few bolts, then another 40% when I spun the wheel on contractor's appreciation day" (with a free lunch :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Just got back from Lowes and picked up a B & D orbital sander Reg price

49.99 I paid 24.00, brand new in the box!

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

How did you manage the discount?

Reply to
Hobbs Family

Hi, When you need individual item, yes. This fellow is buying a whole package for new house. I wouldn't buy piece and bits, mix and match stuff for a new house. I usually take builder allowance and go out on my own looking for what I like. Most of time I have to spend little extra to get what I want.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We just bought a new (old) house, we are doing renovations and so far I have been able to get my wood floor (real wood, not laminate) for 1.13 a box, its sitting in the basement waiting for me. I bought the insulation for

10 a bag and it waiting for me, its just what I wanted and needed. Our bathroom and kitchen faucets well they came a bit early but I have more than what we wanted for less then what I thought I would have paid for the lessor stuff. Timing is the idea here, if your out to build a house in a short period of time then my way is not for you, but if your going to be doing some over time remodeling then this is the way to do it for less. I found some knotty pine boards for my "outdoor" room total cost for a 10 X 12 room 53.00 thats what my walls are going to be instead of sheetrock. The wood floor will be in there as well. Now if I could just find that leather Lazyboy that I want???

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I don't think Home Depot, Lowes, allow much in the way of actual bargaining (i.e., talking salesperson into giving you a discount from price marked). However, I have had luck with the previously mentioned kinds of things (damaged, floor models, etc.) and totally agree that checking frequently is key -- being in the right place at the right time. Recently I bought an electric range at about 1/3 off at HD because it was an odd model they don't ordinarily carry at that store and was missing the instruction book. As far as true bargaining, you may find you do better at places such as ABC Warehouse where salespeople have some latitude to dicker and deal.

Also, keep an eye out for offers such as 10% off first purchase with new credit and so forth. The HD credit card has outrageous interest, so make sure any discount offer also includes something like "6 months same as cash" or you have the money to pay it off right away.

Jo Ann

Reply to
jah213

Did you need the tool or did you just buy it because you got it for half price? That's what my wife does to save money!?!?!?!?

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Does not matter, the B & D sander would be overpriced at $5.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ok Ed,I'll bite, why is it overpriced. Seems like a decent sander. I didn't try it out I just put it in the cab. should I get it out and try it, is it going to vibrate my hands apart?

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Did you know that the first store in America to charge fixed prices was John Wanamaker in Philadelphia, and this was only around 1850 or

1870 (I forget which.) Until then, everything was subject to bargaining all the time.

I'm only good at it if I really don't want the thing. And mostly at yard sales.

This reminds me of a story. A man comes to a grocery or a fruit stand and asks, How much for tomatoes?

The owner says, Two dollars a pound.

The customer says, The store down the street is charging a dollar fifty a pound.

So buy them down the street, the owner says.

"He's out of them."

The owner says "When I'm out of them, I charge a dollar a pound."

Reply to
mm

The B&D brand is very low end. Not really worth bring home. It may be ok for very light use but that is about it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It may serve your needs if they are light duty and infrequent. If you have a lot of sanding it will wear out in a short time. B & D used to be a very reputable tool maker, but have gone the high volume, low end route.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

ok, No wonder it was 1/2 priced, I'll keep it since I don't plan on alot of use for it, I have a Crapsman mouse type that I bought as a throw away, but that thing wont die. it has held up throught about a hundred birdhouses, 3 dog houses and 2 queen sized bedframes. If I am looking for a ROS that HAS to hold up under pressure what should I look at?

Thanks ] ]Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

B&D? Not in my tool list. I have mostly DeWalt, Porter & Cable.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Actually, I did not need it. I really did buy it for the price, if it holds up then I got a good deal if not well, lesson learned. I guess my tools are getting alot like my fishing equipment, I have MY fishing gear and my lending gear. Of course my lending gear is not nearly as expensive as MY gear, but I sure as hell am not going to lend out my Calcutta to someone who is accompanying me fishing!. Now I have a lending sander.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I just used the BD ROS, worked pretty damn good if you asked me, Maybe cause its right out of the box, but on initial use I see no problems aside from being kinda of dusty. But I have a sanding box so that eliminates the dust issue. I will let you know how it fairs overtime if anyone is interested.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Since you got it cheap enough, you could always get your money back on e-bay which is what happens to a lot of my wife's, "look how much I saved off the regular price!" (It doesn't seem to matter we already had one or didn't need one.)

Jay

Reply to
Jay

go to

sign up and give them your *new* ;-) address and they will send you 10% coupon in the mail. Lowes probably does the same thing. You could also fill out a change of address form at the post office and magically tons of deals will start pouring in.

Reply to
RayV