Fluorescent fixtures

I just read the instructions (dumb idea, I know) for some fluorescent fixtures I bought sometime back, for my shop. Anyway, it says the fixture is only for 2700K, 3500K, and 4100K tubes. Why does the fixture/ballast care what phosphor is in the tubes? I was planning on using 6500K tubes (like I have in similar fixtures). If there is good reason to respect these instructions, I'll probably change them over to LEDs but it's a lot of tubes to trash. The coldest white LED tubes I've seen are 5000K. I'd prefer 6500K but 5000K would probably work.

Reply to
krw

Perhaps it has more to do with the reflector than the electronics.

Too light and it may need a cancer warning label. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I'd thought of that, though the plastic diffuser. There is no reflector, other than the white interior (it's an untra-cheap fixture).

Californica, for sure.

Reply to
krw

You'd probably have a greater response in the alt.home.repair group but as far as I know from working with lamps and fixtures for many years, the K value does not have a major impact on energy usage. I would not know why they establish a limit.

IMO, there isn't much of a difference in brightness with 5000K and

6500K. The difference with the higher number will be a bluer hue. I have use 5000 in most areas of my home and very happy with the results.
Reply to
Hawk

Highly unlikely, even assuming one can wade through all the non-topic garbage.

The ballast care about the power consumption (watts) of the tube(s), which typically range from 65 watts to 110 (usually labled HO, or high-output on the bulb) watts. The color temperature doesn't generally change the wattage requirements, but other factors (producing more light with weaker phosphor) may require the bulb to consume more power. The ballast will be labeled as to how many watts it supports and the bulbs will list their power consumption.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Seems dumb to me.

I disagree. There is a huge difference in, at least the perceived, light output of the hotter tubes. That's why they're used in industrial applications.

Reply to
krw