ball joints

A ball joint on the lawn tractor "popped" today on the steering arm mechanism ... I'm new and relatively naive to mechanical devices so I apologize in advance.

The ball joint socket does not appear to be something that I can put back into place, but I'd like to know what keeps it in tact to begin with. The other end of the steering rod has a ball joint but doesn't seem to have much flexibility, but wanted to ask if there is solder or other adhesive to keep it in place. I would believe that I have to replace the joint, but it is in such an awkward spot that I might try an alternative if a weld of some type might be easier to try in the interim.

Just curious.

TIA, Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

didnt say the tractor you have ,but if its a cheepie the ball is crimped over to hold it in. youll need a new one

ds549

Here is a picture of the part. Of course, the local hardware stores carry ball joints with the male/female specs the same and on this one, the size and threads are different.

tom_sawyer70

As of today, I have a few leads to potential local suppliers that may have it ... unfortunately, the long weekend means that I will probably not have an answer until Tuesday.

The joint does disconnect from the bar, so I really only need the ball joint with it's 3/8" side and 7/16" side.

The actual part is anywhere from $6 to $14, depending on the vendor and not including shipping ... alternatively, a local hardware store suggested that I take their male/female "equal dimension" ball joint, drill through the hole to open up enough to accept the larger size, then hacksaw the end of the ball joint to clear the tie rod, but I'm a bit reluctant to do so at this stage ... given that the new part may only be a couple of days away.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70