Backup for Well Water During Power Outages

I don't really have the space for a 50 gallon tank. I think several 5-10 gallon containers would be more doable. Those would at least fit in the garage attic.

Thankfully, ours is a regular gravity feed system. No power needed.

All I was really hoping for is a single recharge of the 80 gallon pressure tank. If the power is out much longer than that, I would probably look for other options (motel, etc.).

The 1/2 HP pump doesn't need much power, but as you said the startup surge can be three times that, increasing the size of the inverter or generator needed.

Our pump is in a well house that has it's own power supply (not connected to the house). I already wired the pump with a plug I can unplug from the wall and plug into another power source. All I need is the other power source. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

The pump fills up the tank then shuts off when it reaches full pressure.

At that point, the pressurized tank supplies water to the house.

When the tank pressure drops to the minimum cutoff, the pump turns on and refills the tank.

If the power goes out when the tank is full, we have 80 gallons of water. If the power goes out when the tank is about the reach the minimum cutoff, we may only have 5-10 gallons.

That's kind of like ensuring the gas tank in your car is always full. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

If possible, adjust the pump to start at 50% full rather than 10-20%.

Hul

HerHusband wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Interesting idea, but it would make the pump run more frequently (shortening it's life). I don't know if there would be any other side effects.

We sort of have that situation now. Even when the tank is empty, we still have whatever water is in the 150+ 1" pipe running from the well to the house. The pressure tank sits 10-15 feet higher than the house, so it still flows (slowly) into the house. It's usually good for 4-5 toilet flushes even once the tank is empty.

The well and house are on two separate power supplies. Unless I want to move the generator back and forth, it wouldn't be very convenient. Not to mention having to rewire the house circuits.

I'm fine going without power for a day or two, but it's harder to do without water.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I'd probably use the lazy man method and keep a dozen (or two)water filled one gallon milk jugs in the basement. Use the water to flush the toilet only when necessary.

Not elegant but Ok for once or twice a year.

At least when the power goes out here, the water still works.

Reply to
philo

Yep, good point. I should have said the tank had reached it's upper cutoff point ("full").

That's sounding more and more like the most reasonable and cost effective solution.

Nope, just a couple of small VW cars. As long as the snow plow can make it up the hill, we can make it out.

We rarely have more than one or two outages a year, and those are usually just a few hours at most. The ones this year were actually longer than we typically have. However, I think it was about the same time frame as you that our power went out for close to a week. We had no backup heat at that time, which made for a rough week. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Fretwell told me that I fog two strokes.

I'm still wondering how he knows that I do that.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

According to the experts at Stihl, running it dry is the proper thing to do.

Fake ID

I'm not a well user, but my backup power is a gasoline generator. I've got a gascan for the mower, etc, so have some gas on hand.

Generator oversized by a bit is good idea, and also to check the amp draw of the motor, if you've got those skills.

Another option to discuss, is a power inverter to put on your car battery with the car running. Extension cords to the well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had my share of untested equipment moments. Isn't it the cold dark nights that really are a mess. And that's when you most need the camp fire, generator, propane heater, and so on. Strap on head lamp. And the list goes on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some day I'll make a text file for this, I've typed it so many times. You likely know all of this:

1) During power cuts, generators are high theft item. It's wise to chain it to a tree or some thing solid, if possible watch it in person with a large gun in hand. 2) Gasoline goes faster than you think, have more than you think you need, on hand. 3) Running after sundown pisses off your neighbors who don't have generators, and who want to put the baby down. 4) Run the unit outdoors, so you don't die of monoxide, as so many do.

Your unit probably has a low oil shut down. Please check the oil every time you run, and keep it on the full line. Generator oil capacity is about 20 ounces. If it's low, add three or four ounces (not the whole quart, like one I saw a while back).

Hope you never need this.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, if I ever get an ETQ brand generator by Stihl, I'll have the correct information.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down" :-)

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

According to every chain saw manual I have ever seen (and I have seen a whole bunch) they should be run dry before putting them away. Even at the last 'cough' they have just drawn charge of fuel/oil mix.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

So far you haven't given any cite to any manufacturer saying to "fog it".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Because pressure tanks run on air pressure. Pump controller turns on at a set low pressure, fills tank to a set high pressure and cuts off.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

My backup consists of the ubiquitous 5 gal buckets. Power goes off I fill as many as I can right away and we go on 'conserve water' mode, no flushing the toilet every time, no clothes washing, etc. When the buckets get down near empty it is off to a neighbor or town to refill.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Wrong. Both tanks will fill and empty simultaneously. Basically you would be simulating one double size tank as far as system operation goes.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not clear why this has to be the case? AT 45 PSI, you should be able to keep the tank 2/3 full of water. If that's not possible, you've got a flow rate problem and need more storage. Will take more energy to pump against higher pressure, but how much?

For big water storage, you can pressure it when needed with CO2. When there's no emergency, you won't want the CO2 tank going to waste. I suggest a fridge with a keg in it as a resting place. When the power goes out, just drink beer until it comes back on. Problem solved.

My favorite solution to a power outage is the well-deserved nap.

Reply to
mike

Not wrong. You don't have air or an air bladder in the second tank. The second tank is 100% water. Water from the existing tank comes into the bottom. Water supply to the house comes out the top. The only air is in the bladder in his existing tank.

Reply to
trader_4