Automatic table saw emergency stop

This thing is amazing:

Commander Kinsey

Don't try and cut damp wood or you will destroy the blade every time :)

I would guess that removing the riving knife or blade guard as you see on a lot of Youtube videos, especially from the USA, may account for many of the 68k USA injuries rather than cutting your fingers off

One form of kickback (there are others demonstrated on many table saw safety videos)

alan_m

Good point. I wonder how they get around that.

I removed mine, otherwise how the hell do you cut thicker wood? I just keep my fingers a good distance from the blade. I don't cut tiny things with a huge saw.

Yeowch! I was wondering who you could get kickback in that direction.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have removed the blade guard on mine for cutting thicker wood but I also have a second, cut down, riving knife just a tiny bit shorter than the blade that I always fit for this type of cut. The riving knife that came with the saw is taller than the blade - because the blade guard fits to the top of it.

Somewhere on Youtube is a demonstration of another form of kickback on a table saw where the wood goes through a plasterboard partition wall.

Reply to
alan_m

Sounds like your saw is better designed. My knife is lower than the blade, and the guard attaches to it, so you can only use about half the available blade to cut unless you remove the guard, since the bolt for the guard stops the wood going through. What they could have done is make the guard adjustable, so it's possible to get wood through that's the full height of the blade. Even then, you might want to cut halfway through some much thicker wood (although that's probably unsafe!)

Those plasterboard walls amuse me, until I need to remove one and get dust everywhere. My friend once lost his temper with his brother and tried to punch him. His brother moved and his fist went straight through the wall. Plasterboard is cheap crap that should never have been invented. It's also presumably very flammable, being basically two layers of paper with dust glued inbetween. Might aswell live in a mud hut.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You will have a difficult job setting fire to it.

Reply to
alan_m

That is masterly trolling and not particularly offensive. Have you been to Troll school recently?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Commander Kinsey

So it isn't paper?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Maybe in Scotland.

Reply to
rbowman

Probably depends on the age and quality:

"Up to 10 percent of drywall's composition is comprised of cellulose, found in the paper facing on both sides of the drywall panel. Increasingly, though, drywall is being faced not with paper but with mold-resistant fiberglass mat."

From

But I can't believe anything with paper could be fire resistant, even if the middle part is.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Best grow some.

I guess trolling comes naturally for you, so no need. :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

I have a hole in a door when I punched it when I got sacked. I have a damaged metatarsal bone where I punched my computer chair when my parrot wouldn't stop making a noise.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have never trolled, but people can't handle the truth sometimes. I call a spade a spade and if that isn't politically correct, all hell breaks loose.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What did the chair ever do to you? When the cat gets annoying he suddenly finds himself being an outdoor cat again. I guess that wouldn't work for parrots.

Long before the covid thing we used to have telephone conferences with an off site employee. He had some sort of screeching bird to liven things up. Before zoom you had to use your imagination.

Reply to
rbowman

That's shovel of colour...

Reply to
rbowman

It's rare a troll can look in the mirror and recognise a troll. To them everyone else is a troll. When enough people tell they have all the traits of a troll its best to look a bit harder into that mirror.

Reply to
Fredxx

You're a f****ng idiot.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Whilst entirely accurate Bill you?ve ignored a long-standing social media convention of *always* getting ?your? and ?you?re? wrong. This is causing me considerable distress.

Their?s no excuse for it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Fact: paper is flammable. Fact: plasterboard/drywall is cheap s**te that crumbles when you try to attach things to it or remove it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey