Appliance industry warns....

My wife has 2 commercial kitchens at the country club she runs so I am sure I could get the real info from the chef. I just know the water in the kitchen will scald you. They even piped a different hot water to the hand sinks from the bathroom water heater as a safety thing.

I suppose if they would spec these to only be used on 20a circuits you could use the 1kw heater and the pump at the same time. I am going to see if that is an option when I get a minute

One of the reasons I don't like dish washers. When I am using one in a house we rent on vacation I turn off all of that "economy" stuff and the dishes come out steaming

Reply to
gfretwell

We had the same setup at the photofinishing plant where the temperature of the water was extremely important in thoroughly mixing the chemicals.

I suspect another reason restaurants use ultra-hot water is that if you have leftover food gunk on your home dishes, you don't get as grossed out by it as a paying restaurant customer might.

Reply to
Robert Green

You won't sue your spouse if someone gets sick and the health department is not poking around your kitchen with an I/R gun once a month.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah, toilet tissue picks up grease better than water, and it takes up very little space in the waste basket. Maybe I could sell those wads to start charcoal fires!

I've been keeping a sprayer with borax by the sink a couple of months, dispensing it several times a day. Last night I saw my first roach in a long time. It was on the dining-room carpet. Their speed can be frustrating for a hunter without a shotgun, so I got my sprayer and turned the nozzle to squirt.

Borax won't hurt a carpet. It will kill a bug before long, but the immediate effect is uncertain. It made him so slow that stepping on him felt unsporting.

Reply to
J Burns

I have this stubborn calcium deposit stuck to my toilet bowl, and I've tried everything I can find off the store shelves that I'd normally clean it with and nothing seems to work. I actually got some of it to chip off, but it's a pain to even get that to come off. Is there anything safe I can use that'll dissolve the calcium deposits that isn't a nasty acid of some sort?

Reply to
Muggles

Some could come from plumbing or motor oil washed down sewers.

Years ago, the Sunday newspaper magazine had an interview with a nationally know endocrinologist who said Americans were getting half the magnesium they were getting in 1911, and they probably weren't getting enough then. He said every age-related disease is associated with low magnesium. Endocrinology went so far as to advocate adding it to water supplies.

Other branches of medicine ignore magnesium in favor of costly patented drugs. For example, in the 1950s, a Scandinavian heart doctor found that intravenous Epson salt reduced heart-attack mortality from 20% to 2%. Other heart doctors got similar results. They found that it was important to administer it quickly, and too strong a solution could be harmful. For 40 years, that two-cent "miracle drug" was kept on hospital crash carts.

In the 1990s, Bayer, who made costly heart drugs, sponsored a worldwide study that affected 50,000 victims. Their protocol called for a solution that had been proved too strong, and a delay of up to 24 hours. Naturally, the results weren't good. Heart doctors read the results and quit using magnesium, which helped Bayer's profits.

One way the body uses magnesium is to get rid of heavy metals. We were told mad cow disease was caused by an infectious organism that survives incineration. If it survives incineration, it's not an organism. They were hiding the fact that the outbreaks happened in herds where the UK government had mandated systemic insecticide. In the brain, copper, a heavy metal, formed destructive molecules. A farmer protected his cattle by getting a lawyer and refusing to apply the poison to his herd. He then purchased two cows. When he found they were "infected," he added Epsom salt to their drinking water. One returned to normal. The other's brain didn't heal, but he stopped the progression of the disease.

Similar brain-wasting diseases affect deer, sheep, and humans only in areas deficient in magnesium. Manganese is the usual culprit, but it's harmless if the animal has adequate magnesium. That's why wolves who eat "infected" deer don't get the disease.

Reply to
J Burns

Dirtbags from the git.

Isn't magnesium the med we need, but there's a limit to how much you can buy as a supplement?

nb

Reply to
notbob

What a coincidence! I bought a cheap low-flow toilet 19 years ago. I'd use CLR and and the kind of abrasive pad that looks a little like an air filter, to keep the rim clean, but it was only a few days ago that I paid attention to the dark stains at the bottom.

I waited until I wouldn't need the toilet for a couple of hours. I shut off the water, flushed, shoved in a brush to push some of the remaining water out, and added a maybe 1/2 ounce of CLR. When I came back and brushed, dark cloudiness showed it was working.

I discovered that 15 minutes after shutting off the water and flushing, the bowl might be full again. Without much water in the tank to press the flapper down, I guess it can seep.

I repeated it whenever the toilet would be idle for a period of hours. Sometimes I used CLR and sometimes vinegar. The cloudiness when I came back and brushed showed that they both worked.

That cheap toilet has a corner at the very bottom. That was the last spot to come clean. Some recommend muriatic acid, but I'd be afraid of pitting the glazing.

Reply to
J Burns

I think I can get CLR at Wal-mart market, so I may try a combination of things like you tried. Heck ... if anything works I'll be happy.

Reply to
Muggles

I used that iron remover in the brown bottle. It removed the calcium but the glaze was gone too.

Reply to
gfretwell

Of course, CLR is an evil wicked strong acid that is responsible for the death of baby kittens in Nigeria, on odd numbered Wednesdays.

I'd love to hear that you tried a strong acid, found it worked nicely and might do it next time. I've used HCl acid in my toilet bowl, and it did clear up the calcium scale. Gave out some fumes, which were nasty for a while. Sigh.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Does the CLR do the same with the nasty fumes?

Reply to
Muggles

I'm skeptical of pills. If the supplement gets to the intestine, it may not be absorbed and may interfere with the absorption of calcium.

Fifteen years ago, people could see I was deathly I'll, and the cause was a mystery. An endocrinologist (a PhD and not an MD) said my small intestine was full of holes. He recommended cooked carrots with butter for Vitamin A, and Epsom salt for magnesium.

In a few weeks I was better and quit the Epsom salt. After a couple of months, my digestion was still fine, but I realized I was doing worse in other ways. I resumed the Epsom salt and never regretted it.

If you took a teaspoon or two of Epsom salt, it would get to the intestine and, by holding water, act as a laxative. My adviser recommended 1/8 tsp in a glass of water 3 times a day. An eighth tsp is only about 60 mg. The old RDA was 400 mg, and some say it should be

1000. That little bit in a glass of water isn't much to correct a deficiency.

I began mixing 1/2 tsp per pint of water and keeping it in a clear plastic sports bottle in the counter. Like an animal going to a salt lick, I'd take a drink when I had a taste for magnesium. Typically, I drink two bottles a day. That would be 500 mg, half the RDA some recommend. The dilution helps my stomach absorb it quickly, like a shot of liquor on an empty stomach. Come to think of it, it affects me a little like liquor. I feel refreshed, relaxed, and energized.

Last Christmas, three different people gave me chocolate candy. For a week or so, I ate a lot of candy. I noticed my thirst for magnesium water shot up to about four bottles a day. One function of magnesium is to get insulin into the cells, where it belongs, and more sugar requires more insulin. I guess magnesium is lost in the process. If insulin has trouble getting into the cells, that's insulin resistance, which leads to diabetes.

Reply to
J Burns

Have you forgotten the whiskey tax? Hamilton said it wouldn't help the budget but would show the common people who was boss. It didn't help the federal budget, but it did wonders for Washington's. He diversified from marijuana into liquor. Taxed at a far lower rate than guys like me, he ran the biggest still in North America.

I could have been on easy street if I could have sold the stuff I distilled in the cellar in grammar school. (I told the pharmacist I was buying the equipment for my chemistry set. The cellar was so dirty that my parents never went down there.)

Darned government interference! I wanted to hire Robert Mitchum to transport it. Then somebody told me Thunder Road was fiction.

My mother's uncle got caught. Every Wednesday, the warden gave him a

24-hour pass to tend the still the feds hadn't found. Naturally, the prison staff invited him to their parties.
Reply to
J Burns

I've never heard of drinking a dilution of Epsom salt before. Is it something that only works for certain blood types, or something that's common for everyone?

Reply to
Muggles

Nah. Besides water, the main ingredient is glycolic acid. It's a little stronger than the acetic acid in vinegar, but it's also an ingredient in skin-care products.

Reply to
J Burns

It's not common, but for many centuries, people have drunk mineral water for their health. Magnesium seems to be the most important mineral in mineral water. I think of my mix as homemade mineral water, just enough magnesium to give it a taste that hits the spot.

People used to bathe in mineral springs for their health. Until the last few decades, it was common to bathe in homemade mineral water: Epsom salt in a bath tub. You can absorb it a lot faster that way than by drinking. They joke that the only danger from all that magnesium is that maybe it will be so relaxing that you'll fall asleep and drown.

A few years ago, I met my neighbor's father when he came in his pickup truck to rake and haul away leaves. At 93, he was physically and mentally as spry as any teen I've known. Later, my friend recalled that every Saturday night, his father bathed in Epsom salt.

I read of a British experiment where the magnesium in subjects' urine was tracked during a regimen of an Epsom salt bath every two days. (Or was it four days?) IIRC, it took four baths for magnesium measurements to level out. If excretion was less than intake for three big doses (baths), it was taken to mean all subjects were quite deficient.

Doctors advise taking aspirin to reduce the chance of coronary thrombosis. Research has shown that only buffered aspirin works. What's the difference? Buffered aspirin has magnesium, which is vital in regulating clotting. Why take aspirin, which could cause bleeding problems, when magnesium won't?

Reply to
J Burns

I've never been fumed by CLR.

Nitric or hydrochloric, yes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In the service, we were instructed to use four garbage cans to clean mess kits. The first was to scrape garbage. The second was very hot water with soap. We were told to use a sort of toilet brush. The third had a hot disinfectant. The fourth had hot rinse water. In my experience, they were boiling or close to it.

The 1977 manual simply says to dip it in water with any soap or detergent at 130 F, then rinse 30 seconds in boiling water.

It also says to dip 3 seconds in boiling water before eating. wow! Ten times longer to rinse off the detergent than to wash for eating! That's what I don't like about using detergent in the sink.

We were instructed to be sure to get all the grease off, because germs could grow there that could later cause food poisoning.

That's what I like about borax. As long as there's not a lot of grease, like my greasy fingers, it's quick and thorough removing grease and other stuff, and it doesn't even need hot water. There could be a stray germ on a clean surface, but I figure what won't make me sick.

My riveted stainless ladle may be my Achilles heel in kitchen sanitation. It can't be washed in a dishwasher because it has a wooden handle. There are crannies where the handle is riveted to the bowl.

If there's a colony of pathogens in a cranny when I dip the ladle in stew at 140 F on the stove, and the rest of the stew sits on the stove awhile before I think it's cool enough to refrigerate, and it cools slowly in the refrigerator, and I don't reboil it before eating it... dirt I didn't notice in the ladle could cause food poisoning.

Borax seems to clean that ladle better than detergent.

Oh yes... a neighbor worked at a restaurant. Stuff that didn't go through the dishwasher was sanitized in a deep sink with hot bleach water. The health department would measure the concentration of bleach. Bleach won't kill germs as well if there's too much.

Reply to
J Burns

ok... thanks for the info. I plan on going shopping some time tomorrow, so I'll pick some up when I go.

Reply to
Muggles