Can't win this one.

The wife and I decided to replace our kitchen sink and counter with an all-in-one sink/counter combination.

One the way to the store, she told me:

And this time do the faucet right.

"What do you mean ?" I asked.

She then informed me that hot is normally on the left and cold is normally on the right.... and I told her that was they way I put it in 25 years ago...."Correctly"

"We'll settle this when we get home" she told me.

The sink just has a single lever...so I told her:

"Regardless of it being right or wrong, just push the lever to the position that is *supposed* to be hot.

The moved the lever to the left...then I told her to feel the water which was hot as it should be.

After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:

"I still think you did it wrong!"

Reply to
philo

LOL!! You could just say, "Yes, dear". HAHAAHAHAH

Reply to
Muggles

If you are going to get blamed anyway, just put it in wrong this time.

Reply to
taxed and spent

When we get the new sink, I'll just let her put it in.

This little project is expanding quite a bit as now she has decided to replace the 25 year old wall paper too.

I can't argue with that one...it's time.

So as long as the walls are going to be stripped, I figure this will be a good time to open them up and rewire the whole kitchen.

Might as well.

Reply to
philo

The wallpaper will probably get messed up during the sink installation. She might want to install tile back splashes, too, along with the new sink. I'm sure she'll think of more to do. Maybe new cabinets?

Reply to
Muggles

Here is the plan:

Hire a friend to remove the wallpaper.

I will then open the walls and rewire.

Same friend will then prep the walls.

Next the sink and counter will be removed. The cabinets are in good condition but I will have to hire my friend to sand and paint them to match the new color scheme.

We will hire a professional paper-hanger to put in the wallpaper.

Finally the new sink/counter top will be installed...

The back-splash will be about six inches high . Since the sink, counter and back-splash are all one piece there should be no water damage.

The one being replaced has minor water damage...but considering I did it

25 years ago, I think I can say I got my money's worth by now.
Reply to
philo

I'm sure, according to her, you'll screw that up too. :-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

What about the floor? And new appliances?

I am sure the lighting can be improved as well.

Reply to
taxed and spent

All the appliances are new and the floor is actually OK

When the Congolium (?) was put in the salesman said the floor did not have to be prepped but when the installer came out...thankfully he was a perfectionist and spent an entire day removing the old floor and leveling it. We were not charged any extra and I was billed for exactly the quoted price.

It's held up damn well and will just need a good scrubbing when we are all done with the project. For the present were are not cleaning it too well , knowing it's soon to get quite dirty.

As to the lighting.

shhhh

So far she has not said anything but she will...eventually

Reply to
philo

My poor kitchen need some tlc, too. Now, I'm jealous.

Reply to
Muggles

My kitchen is still in the planning/layout phase , we haven't broken ground yet . You probably don't know , but the wife and I live in a 25 foot camping trailer in a clearing out in the woods . Well , that's a little misleading , there's also a 16 x 24 room , attached to the camper via a temporary hallway . The kitchen is phase II , and will be 24 x 24 with a 16 x 10 combination pantry/storm shelter/general storage area underneath .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

To hire real contractors, this would cost some money but most of it will be done by myself, with some help from a friend who works for $12.50 an hour...so it is not going to cost a fortune.

Reply to
philo

When we do ours, I'm not even going to start anything until I can spend

40k to 50k to get it just the way she wants. It will go right down to the sheetrock.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

wow ... that must be an interesting adventure. I think every house should have a storm shelter. Do you live in tornado alley?

Reply to
Muggles

How long do you think it'll take to complete?

Reply to
Muggles

Twenty five years ago I entirely gutted the kitchen and put in 5/8" drywall..

Because I mostly did it myself it was not terribly expensive.

Since I only paid $29k for the house I don't think I'll be dishing out $50 for a new kitchen.

Although the house is worth considerably more than what I paid for it , I cannot justify a $50k kitchen...and what we are doing now my wife is fine with.

We'd rather spend out money taking vacations

BTW: The was a video I saw a few days ago where a guy surprised his with with a new $60k kitchen and all she did was complain.

I sure hope he's looking for a new wife now.

Of course this could be a fake video though

Reply to
philo

We are going about this leisurely as we are basically re-doing our entire house as well.

Painting and plaster repair...rehanging all the art.

My wife is an artist and I'm a photographer so we have 300 paintings and photos!

We have to be done by December but will probably be done a lot sooner.

The main thing is that we pull the sink, do the wall paper and replace the sink within two days.

Last time I re-did the kitchen I was doing dishes in the basement wash tubs ...with dish pans of course.

Reply to
philo

Sort of , we do get some from time to time . A few years ago one hit Mountain View (Arkansas) . We figured from the storm damage track that it had to have skipped over our property - this was before we moved up here . Ice storms are the biggie here - which is why I now have a (little bitty , but ...) tractor with a blade on the front . It's a mile to pavement ... uphill ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

She's there and I'm not so she knows a lot more about this than I do.

Reply to
micky

Hopefully, all will go as planned. Are you taking before, during, and after photos?

Reply to
Muggles