small appliance energy usage

Our local library is now lending these devices :

Good idea - even though the price is now pretty reasonable. John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Mon 09 Apr 2018 09:02:17a, told us...

I wonder how or if this would work with a power strip containing 20 outlets plugged into it? All of my electronic equipment is plugged intothis strip and I would like to know the collective power usage.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Sorry - I have no experience with these devices - yet. I'd be curious about a few of my appliances - but doubtful about saving any money - since we're empty-nesters, my electric bill is more delivery charge and tax - than usage .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I have a KillaWatt which is similar. No reason you can't use it with a plug in strip to get the total power used. With the KW you can enter the cost of your electric and it will show you the cost per hour, day, month, etc. I recently checked my 55" TV and was pleased to find it's only costing me $3 a month and I have it on a lot.

Reply to
trader_4

Time-of-Use billing makes a big dollar difference for certain appliances - and/or lifestyles - so if the device isn't taking that into account - you need to be careful in your calculations. < estimates > John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 12:02:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote in

Indeed. Here's the one I've been using for over 10 years

These monitors are very informative.

Reply to
CRNG

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 22:13:23 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote in

Yes, it will work with a power strip.

Reply to
CRNG

I suspect that most people who use these devices are looking to save money in all the wrong places. Even if we've misplaced the owner's manual for most of our small appliances, the power use specs can be found either on the appliance itself or on the web. We have a reasonable idea how many hours/month we use those devices. No higher math required to calculate the Kwh/month and then examine our electric bill for the cost/Kwh. Even if we save a reasonable percentage of our monthly electric bill (and at what inconvenience or appliance replacement expense to achieve that saving?), how much do we spend/month on our cell phone contract, lunch budget, automobile insurance for that "extra" car, etc. by comparison? Given the lousy quality control on most consumer appliances these days, how many of us are willing or able to spend + or - $1200 on a new refrigerator that saves us $12/month in electric use and will probably fail long before we can ever amortize the replacement cost. The savings choices come easier after making an accurate and thorough accounting of your typical monthly expenses. In general, replacing the most used incandescent bulbs with cfl or led bulbs, keeping an eye on your heating/cooling thermostat settings, brown bagging lunches if you normally go out for lunch most days and carefully examining your discretionary lifestyle choices will allow the greatest savings.

Reply to
Peter

On Tue 10 Apr 2018 05:12:43a, CRNG told us...

Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright