Anyone uses portable AC?

My AC - 6 yrs old - needs service. Beutler is coming on July 27. I got a Soleus (K32, I think) from Fry's for $499. It's 12,000BTU. Are these worth keeping? How about service contract? And ..

today, I saw another Model at Fry's - I didn't see it yesterday. Soleus LX120 which also is

12, 000 BTU but has heater feature. It's the same price (499.95) as the other one after manufacturer rebate. I am thinking to get that one, if I plan to keep it. My question is, is this kind of dual things a good thing to have. BTW, what type of heater is it?

BTW, I am using it a small room - office.

See at

|412465886

Reply to
Amanda

Does yours work well? I have the 10,000 btu model. It is a worthless piece of junk. It will cool a small closet and that is about all. They have a fatal design flaw - the high pressure side is cooled with inside air and then vented to the outside, which results in a constant flow of hot air into the room. I'm trying to figure out some way to draw outside air to cool the high pressure side, like most a/c units do.

|412465886>

Reply to
Matthew Reed

Some of them have two hoses. One out, one in. I was in Lowe's the other day, they had a demo running. Covered the inlet with my hand. Guess what? The outlet was still blasting. So what the hell is the other hose for? Just for grins, I put the two hoses together. So the hot air should have entered the condenser and made it real hot. It didn't.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Initially (before centra Ac issue), I bought Royal Aire 10,000BTU form seras and used in bedroom useless, IMO.

Ths one was bought because AC broke but now, after reading your design flaw info, I am returning it. Noth worht keeping it. x x x

|412465886> >

Reply to
Amanda

|412465886>

We live in the deep south and air conditioning is an absolute necessity.

After our central A/C died several times with the outdoor temperature in the

90's or 100's with high humidity (try getting service on a weekend!), I decided to get some window A/C's as backups.

I did some research and bought a 110 volt Frididaire FAC107P1A (10,000 BTUs) for $200 at Home Despot for the first floor. It has a 10.8 EER (which is just a wee bit shy of the the most efficient model of 11.0 EER. The kicker is that it has a full five year in-home warranty.

Now, instead of using the giant electricity-sucking central A/C which costs over $300/month to run and $150 in yearly maintenance costs, I use just this litle window A/C which I can pick up by myself (and I ain't no big Bubba with size 14 boots). The room humidity has dropped from 55% to 45%.

As small as this A/C unit is, it cools the entire first floor to the mid-70's and we have a southern exposure with no shade trees. All the houses here have a lousy 4" insulation.

I turn on the central A/C every few months to keep to make sure that it keeps lubricated but I've stopped using it. Now, I used the central A/C as a backup and cancelled the yearly maintenance.

Reply to
John